Jackplate Questions - RT198P Owners

Ok gents it's official. I have it in writing that I can have a dealer install a 4 inch "Atlas" hydro jackplate on the back of my Ranger 198P from their warranty department. For those of you who own this hull and have a plate do you see much in the way of performance gains? Here are my numbers: 58 mph gps at 5800 rpm from my Mercury 150 four stroke. What should I expect to see in terms of speed? Also will I need to up my Tempest from a 23 to a 24 pitch? Here in Kansas we deal with wind and occasionally big water and I know for a fact it should help me when running in the rough stuff. Appreciate all of the advice.

Cameron

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    You might get another 1-2 MPH because your prop will be operating in cleaner water. Your current prop is operating at the top of the RPM range but unless you are ticking 6000 with the new setup I'd leave it alone.

Be aware when making sharp turns with the JP up it's very easy to lose water pressure and have the engine overheat and go into safety mode. Just lower the JP or trim a bit to keep it from happening.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Member
    If all I get is 1-2 then 1400 total for the plate and install doesn't seem all too worth it.

I had an atlas hydraulic jack plate installed on mt RT198P for the purpose idling out of very shallow water and power loading at shallow ramps. I have not played with raising it to get faster speeds. With my plate all the way down I actually hit 60mph once. I do run a 24 tempest on my mercury 150 four stroke. If you fish a lot of very shallow water it may be helpful.

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CBuckBassin View Post
    If all I get is 1-2 then 1400 total for the plate and install doesn't seem all too worth it.
    Not sure what you were expecting but the biggest reason for a hydraulic jackplate is so you can always tune your boat to ride optimally for the conditions and/or how much you are carrying in the boat. And they are great for blowing through shallow water of course.....

6. Member
    Question for those already running the 4" Atlas Hydraulic JP (factory or installed after the fact). In measuring the width of the JP itself and looking at the transom, it looks like the painted pan head screws will be sitting inside the width of the JP. If this is the case, does the JP not sit completely flush with the transom face?

CBuckBassin...hope you didn't mind me asking this in your thread, as I'm going through the same process as your about to go through. Thanks!
    Last edited by tobin01; 06-22-2018 at 09:45 AM.
    2018 Ranger RT198P
    Mercury 150 4-Stroke

7. Member
    Pan head screws that I'm referring to:

Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Ranger RT198P
    Mercury 150 4-Stroke

8. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I don't know if the plate sits flush if it gets installed at the factory but on mine those things were indeed in the way. If you don't drill indents into the jackplate, it won't sit flush.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I don't know if the plate sits flush if it gets installed at the factory but on mine those things were indeed in the way. If you don't drill indents into the jackplate, it won't sit flush.
    So did you modify the JP so it would sit flush on yours? Would be interested in seeing a picture of how the plate sits on one installed from the factory. Anyone out there have a factory installed Atlas JP mounted on their 198? If so, could you please post pics. Thanks!
    2018 Ranger RT198P
    Mercury 150 4-Stroke

Here are some pictures of my 6 inch plate on my RT198P. The plate is flush to the transom. I personnelly do not know if any mods was done for the plate to be flush.

Attached Images Attached Images

11. Member
    Glenn...thanks for posting. I'm learning that when the JP is installed by Ranger at the factory, the screws I referenced with the RED circles previously are not installed when a JP is added. I would think this is also the case when installed after the fact. Thanks again for your help!
    2018 Ranger RT198P
    Mercury 150 4-Stroke

12. Member
    Better question is....what are those screws for?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBuckBassin View Post
    Better question is....what are those screws for?
    I believe they are there to hold the outer skin tight to the transom...just a guess
    2018 Ranger RT198P
    Mercury 150 4-Stroke