Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hitch Drop ? - Newer GM w/20's

Good day, folks. Had a boat puller upgrade and went from 16" wheels to 20's. Looks like my old 2" drop won't be sufficient. Would like some input on regarding appropriate hitch drop for the newer GM 4x4 pickups running 20" rims. Thanks to all.

Just go measure it, flat space- make the trailer level with the jack, put your 2" drop in and measure the difference

"just make sure you add 2" for the hitch you measure with, and figure .5-1.25" of sag with the boats weight, make sure you have the truck loaded as similar as it will be, you could also bring 300-400 pounds of friend(s) to sit on the tail gait to simulate the trailers weight. The only reason I typed this out is not every truck is the same even when they are the same, in addition many people don't know what they have let alone what you said
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    I'm interested as well - I just went from an Explorer with 16" wheels, to a much taller Armada with 20's. 2" drop seems like it might not be enough, while the 3 1/4 might be too much.

4. Member
    I see this type question all the time. Do people not own a simple measuring tape? Takes less time to answer your own question than to type out the question and you will have the correct answer for your particular set up.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Just go measure it, flat space- make the trailer level with the jack, put your 2" drop in and measure the difference

"just make sure you add 2" for the hitch you measure with, and figure .5-1.25" of sag with the boats weight, make sure you have the truck loaded as similar as it will be, you could also bring 300-400 pounds of friend(s) to sit on the tail gait to simulate the trailers weight. The only reason I typed this out is not every truck is the same even when they are the same, in addition many people don't know what they have let alone what you said
    Thank you for this clear, concise and logical solution.

Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    I see this type question all the time. Do people not own a simple measuring tape? Takes less time to answer your own question than to type out the question and you will have the correct answer for your particular set up.

Thank you for this clear, concise and logical solution.

You have a 2" drop, but a 4" drop that's the one you need, after that buy a 3" or 5" depends on the 4" result
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    You have a 2" drop, but a 4" drop that's the one you need, after that buy a 3" or 5" depends on the 4" result
    To follow up, 4" is indeed the correct answer on my particular Chevy 1500 Z71, w/20's. Turns out I even had 4" drop stuck back in the basement. With that installed and the trailer hooked up the bubble on the level was a little high on the truck side, but do believe when all settles down, it will work fine. Thanks again for taking the time to post good, helpful information.

9. Member
    I use a 2" for my 14 silderado with 20s. I would rather have it a little tongue high than sit lower in the front so water can drain out but I think 2 is perfect

10. Banned
    X2.
    You won't see me asking how much drop I need on a truck and trailer sitting in my yard.
    There's way too many variables: just because you switch from 16" wheels to 20" wheels doesn't mean there's any change in hitch height. The truck could be even lower, depending on the aspect of the tire. Or it could be much taller. Or the person responding to you may be mistaken as to whether his rig is actually level.
    Last edited by Nova Kaw 650; 06-22-2018 at 12:49 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cstechmann View Post
    I use a 2" for my 14 silderado with 20s. I would rather have it a little tongue high than sit lower in the front so water can drain out but I think 2 is perfect
    Going to try it with the 4" and see how it rides. Tongue is still just a tic high. Can always revert to the 2", if necessary. Thanks for the info.

To the 2 folks upset with this discussion:
    I already realize I'm not the sharpest knife in the block. Yes, I know each rig is different. I and, I'm sure most others, do have a tape and a level, and have even used them to dial in our own rigs. I and the others actually participating in this discussion don't need another useless lecture. We can get along fine without you.

Mods, feel free to delete this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    X2.
    You won't see me asking how much drop I need on a truck and trailer sitting in my yard.
    There's way too many variables: just because you switch from 16" wheels to 20" wheels doesn't mean there's any change in hitch height. The truck could be even lower, depending on the aspect of the tire. Or it could be much taller. Or the person responding to you may be mistaken as to whether his rig is actually level.
    I'm using the same drop on my new Chevy 4by4 with 20's as I did my Last one with 16"

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh3 View Post
    Going to try it with the 4" and see how it rides. Tongue is still just a tic high. Can always revert to the 2", if necessary. Thanks for the info.

To the 2 folks upset with this discussion:
    I already realize I'm not the sharpest knife in the block. Yes, I know each rig is different. I and, I'm sure most others, do have a tape and a level, and have even used them to dial in our own rigs. I and the others actually participating in this discussion don't need another useless lecture. We can get along fine without you.

Mods, feel free to delete this thread.
    Upset, nah just don't care. But, I think your response shows at least you realized how it made you look to ask a question with such an obvious answer.

14. Member
    03 Tahoe = 2" drop
    New 17' Yukon = 8" drop

They really tucked the receiver way up in the bumper now. But that's what it took to get ball height at 18".
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

15. Member
    Too many angry people on here they can't just answer a question they gotta try to humiliate people.

16. Member
    My 16’ 2500 with 20s requires a 4” drop to get it level. Buy a good one, the cheaper ones have a lot of slop. I bought a b and w and love it. Solid design and quick to adjust

A good all around number to shoot for is the top of the ball 18” off the ground when your trailer is hooked up too the truck. Boat trailers standard sized utility trailers etc. some larger trailers may be different but all the work trucks at work and my dad and my truck trucks are all setup that way. My truck is a 2018 ram 1500 4x4 with 20s and it takes a 6” drop alumastinger. About 19 1/4” to the top of the ball sitting static truck only. Boat hooked up is perfectly level. The newer truvks sit much higher now than alot of the older models as well. My old gmc 1500 took a 2” drop to do the same thing.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Upset, nah just don't care. But, I think your response shows at least you realized how it made you look to ask a question with such an obvious answer.
    If you dont care then dont post on the subject. To me thats the “obvious answer”.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

19. Member
    Changed my mind. Lots of thin skin.
    Last edited by gehol; 06-27-2018 at 11:39 AM.

It's a fishing forum !! Your going to have a few jerks before you set the hook.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast