Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Changed my mind. Lots of thin skin.
    Not thin skinned what so ever. Im just curious what makes you the person to determine what makes a worthy question on here or not.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    It's a fishing forum !! Your going to have a few jerks before you set the hook.
    Love that!!

3. Member
    Never said the question was not worthy. In fact is was a legitimate question. I suspect the OP needed to know what drop hitch to use. So lets look at the answers.

Look at Fishysam's first answer, " Just go measure it-make the trailer level with the jack, put your 2" drop in and measure the difference"
    Fishysam's second answer seems to be buy a 3, 4, and 5 inch drop and one of them will work. Really that is an answer?
    cstechmann tells the OP to use a 2 inch which is the wrong answer since you never want the tongue to be high
    Nova kaw agrees with me.
    Fishnfireman says he uses the same one on the 16's and the 20" . Likely the best answer the OP got but, still did not answer the OP's question since we don't know what fishnfiremann used.
    Blkfalc4 post info about a Tahoe and Yukon, nothing to do at all with the OP.
    Hchanberlin post info on a 3/4 ton which again has nothing to do with the OP
    And then the moderator gives information for a Dodge, saying he uses a 6 inch on his Dodge with 20's after the OP already determines that the 4 inch he already has is the right drop for his truck. And then the moderator chastises me for suggesting the OP just measure and determine what he needs? Really?
    Last edited by gehol; 06-28-2018 at 01:29 AM.

4. Banned
    Never said the question was not worthy. In fact is was a legitimate question. I suspect the OP needed to know what drop hitch to use. So lets look at the answers.

Look at Fishysam's first answer, " Just go measure it-make the trailer level with the jack, put your 2" drop in and measure the difference"
    Fishysam's second answer seems to be buy a 3, 4, and 5 inch drop and one of them will work. Really that is an answer?
    cstechmann tells the OP to use a 2 inch which is the wrong answer since you never want the tongue to be high
    Nova kaw agrees with me.
    Fishnfireman says he uses the same one on the 16's and the 20" . Likely the best answer the OP got but, still did not answer the OP's question since we don't know what fishnfiremann used.
    And then the moderator gives information for a Dodge, saying he uses a 6 inch on his Dodge with 20's after the OP already determines that the 4 inch he already has is the right drop for his truck. And then the moderator chastises me for suggesting the OP just measure and determine what he needs? Really?
    I agree ^^^
    There's too many variables and errors of measurement to base a decision on what someone else has seen/done.
    From actual (true) hitch height, to the height of the trailer hitch when the trailer is level (and no, 18" for every boat trailer is not a standard), to people thinking and giving advice on the assumption that their rig is level, when it really isn't.
    There's no replacement for a level and a measuring tape, if you want it done right.

5. Member
    Just buy an adjustable hitch like a B&W Tow&Stow. It will last a life time and you'll never have to worry about trailer height again.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Kboater View Post
    Just buy an adjustable hitch like a B&W Tow&Stow. It will last a life time and you'll never have to worry about trailer height again.
    Pricey, but a great idea!

USA

Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Pricey, but a great idea!
    But worth every penny.
    Had the op done that we wouldn’t be having this great topic..
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

8. Member
    Not sure I saw this question asked or answered so far.

If you cannot get the trailer dead on level, is it better to err on the side of having the tongue a tad high, or a tad low? Trailer dealer I spoke with said high, and he didn't care if it was like 2" higher than the rear of the trailer, said that way when you are coasting the surge brakes don't active and prematurely wear out the trailer brakes.....not sure if there is any truth to that. Just may not be possible for it to be dead level in all cases, so I wondered what's the lesser of the two evils?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

9. Member
    I hesitate to post anything else on this thread fearing the wrath of Basstracker again, but you seem sincere so here goes. Depends partly on the trailer, single or tandem axle. On a single you do not want the tongue high. My personal preference on a single is about 1" low. The only difference is a single has a slightly higher tendency to sway and the tongue low helps prevent this. On a tandem I personally am fine with level but, if you err then you need to have the tongue slightly low. In addition to a more stable pull like when changing lanes in the event of heavy/emergency braking it will handle better. When you hit the brakes the front of the truck dips raising the rear end. If the tongue is above level then it will have a tendency to pick up the rear of the truck with heavy braking and is detrimental to handling. I am afraid your dealer has been misinformed.

I agree ^^^
    There's too many variables and errors of measurement to base a decision on what someone else has seen/done.
    From actual (true) hitch height, to the height of the trailer hitch when the trailer is level (and no, 18" for every boat trailer is not a standard), to people thinking and giving advice on the assumption that their rig is level, when it really isn't.
    There's no replacement for a level and a measuring tape, if you want it done right.
    You obviously dont read verg carefully. My post said a good number to shoot for is 18” for most boats and standard utility trailers not that 18” is THE standard for boat trailers. Just giving a ballpark to look for with what i have experienced on the trucks at work and my own. But then again like you have shown in alot of other topics nobody else is worthy of your vast superior intellengence. So i guess if anyone asks about this in the future just tell the op they are a stupid ass for asking and go measure it yourself.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Nova kaw agrees with me.
    What i simply want to know is why be such an asshat about it. Most folks dont want to be talked down to just looking for suggestions. I wasnt saying that my setup was what he needed either just telling a trick i was taught by an old mechanic about towing trailers its always worked for me. Im the mechanic for 13 school buses and 10 work trucks so im not stupid. But rather than make the op feel like a total dumbass like you did i just offered a suggestion to look into.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    What suggestion did you make? I guess it you are losing the argument just start name calling? I wonder what would have happened if I called you a name? You certainly set a good example for moderators.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    You obviously dont read verg carefully. My post said a good number to shoot for is 18” for most boats and standard utility trailers not that 18” is THE standard for boat trailers. Just giving a ballpark to look for with what i have experienced on the trucks at work and my own. But then again like you have shown in alot of other topics nobody else is worthy of your vast superior intellengence. So i guess if anyone asks about this in the future just tell the op they are a stupid ass for asking and go measure it yourself.
    As anal as some people are regarding all things bass boat related, a ballpark figure won't cut it. Got to measure.

What suggestion did you make? I guess it you are losing the argument just start name calling? I wonder what would have happened if I called you a name? You certainly set a good example for moderators.
    Giving the 18” hieght to shoot for which has worked for me in MY experience. That is what i thought was beneficial trick to look in to. I agree your best bet is to measure never said it wasnt. Better question what good suggestion did you give that wasnt worded to make someone feel like they are asking a stupid question? Im not losing anything you can call me what you want but i never belittled a person for asking a simple question like you did. The op made a comment towards you and you replied that you “didnt care” thats why i asked you why post at all? Just a chance to make yourself feel better and think you are smarter or what? Simple question if you dont care then why post at all?
    Last edited by TritonTRXV8; 06-28-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Simple question if you dont care then why post at all?
    Probably my wording wasn't the best; it sometimes happens when the answer seems so obvious to me.

Simple answer: anything short of measuring is no better than a guess.
    It can't be based on what someone else says worked for them. Some people have no problem telling people "just buy this one; it worked for me, it has to work for you".
    And when they buy it and it doesn't work, as often happens?
    One poster here said he went from 16" to 20", and the ride height never changed. Others reported 6" variations.
    I'm trying to save the OP time and money.

16. Member
    Probably my wording wasn't the best; it sometimes happens when the answer seems so obvious to me.

Simple answer: anything short of measuring is no better than a guess.
    It can't be based on what someone else says worked for them. Some people have no problem telling people "just buy this one; it worked for me, it has to work for you".
    And when they buy it and it doesn't work, as often happens?
    One poster here said he went from 16" to 20", and the ride height never changed. Others reported 6" variations.
    I'm trying to save the OP time and money.
    I can't put it any better than this. And with that I am out of here.

17. Banned
    Just out of curiosity, I went out in the shop, put a level on my Stratos trailer frame, and leveled it with the trailer jack.
    20 1/4" to the top of the pocket where the ball sits.
    That's why I say "measure" to be sure.

18. Member
    Mine went from 2 to 5. Same 16-20 upgrade.

I hesitate to post anything else on this thread fearing the wrath of Basstracker again, but you seem sincere so here goes. Depends partly on the trailer, single or tandem axle. On a single you do not want the tongue high. My personal preference on a single is about 1" low. The only difference is a single has a slightly higher tendency to sway and the tongue low helps prevent this. On a tandem I personally am fine with level but, if you err then you need to have the tongue slightly low. In addition to a more stable pull like when changing lanes in the event of heavy/emergency braking it will handle better. When you hit the brakes the front of the truck dips raising the rear end. If the tongue is above level then it will have a tendency to pick up the rear of the truck with heavy braking and is detrimental to handling. I am afraid your dealer has been misinformed.
    I just noticed this post now i skimmed over too fast the other day. Ill ask the question again since the guy seems “sincere”. Why didnt you ust post this in the first place? Not feeling as arrogant today? Since i seen you bringing me up in other threads decided to busy your chops a little more its amusing seeing you backpedal.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

20. Member
    Because this poster asked a question that did not have an obvious answer. He had been given incorrect information by one that should have known. Also not information the poster can get with a measuring tape in 5 minutes.
    Back pedalling??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast