Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hot no start 2.5 EFI 200

This is an ongoing problem. When the motor is hot the throttle needs to be advanced for the motor to start. The hotter it is the more throttle needed. The motor smells very rich. Yesterday air temps were 90+,/very humid. The motor would not start at home,in the drive way. Sun went down,cooled off it started right up. Any input is greatly appreciated.
    SN OG395567
    Last edited by Batman1977; 02-29-2020 at 05:27 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Idle Timing: ???

Idle RPM's in Forward Gear: ????

(Be as precise as physically possible- timing requires the pointer be set with a dial indicator).

Still Oil Injected?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I’ll check the exact timing, but I set it as per your recommendation with the black boxes removed. Yes it’s oil injected. Normal smoke, nothing excessive.

4. Member
    Once the excess fuel is burned out of it and it’s warmed up, idle is around 700 in forward gear.

5. Member
    Timing is set at 4 ATDC(idle) and 23 BTDC(Wot)

6. Member
    Wanted to add. The starter motor disengages very quickly when this is occurring.

7. Member
    I’ll also add, this engine, once it’s running, has a ton of power and runs really well. Great hole shot, top end etc. Not starting when hot is a major issue though. Sorry kids no water skiing today, it’s too hot outside, not an option.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It sounds as though you've got everything set up as I would recommend.

Try this:

On a WARM start, make sure trim is LEVEL, pump bulb FIRM, cycle key ON (2 seconds), OFF, ON (2 seconds) and attempt to start.

If engine does not start and remain running, crack throttle open 1/2" until engine starts.

Finding that today's fuel blends (ESPECIALLY summer blends) simply do not react or burn the same as fuels of days gone by. Often a little extra "air" is all that is required to overcome this (when hot).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thx Don. That’s how I’ve been starting it, out of necessity. My concern was the driveway test on Monday when anything I did, would not start the engine. I figured something finally broke but then the shade came and got cooler it started. Is their any value in heating ignition components individually with a hair dryer to simulate a hot day on the water? Or is this definitely a fuel problem?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I believe you will find it's a fuel problem, though you MAY have developed a second problem.

If it fails to start AT ALL again, listen to verify that the fuel pump is running when you turn the key ON. No fuel pump... it will not run.

11. Member
    Ok thanks. Yes the fuel pump runs very well. I only asked about the electrical since when I bought this motor it had a deep cycle battery installed, I removed it but wire connectors were burnt. Fixed that and replaced regs. I thought maybe the stator or switch boxes were compromised and the heat awakes a gremlin that it indectable otherwise.
    Thx again.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    About the best you can do is check the basics anytime if fails to start at all (Compression, Spark, Fuel Quality/Delivery/Pressure).

13. Member
    A 4.6L 200pxs 4 stroke would fix the starting issue really well. Haha.

14. Member
    I have the same motor in a 150, same problem. Literally did everything you do to try and fix it, (drove 27 hours round trip to Dons shop) I even replaced the ECU with a brand new one, same issue. If I ever figure it out I’ll let you know but I’m not holding my breath hahaha

15. Member
    Thanks so much. I’ll do the same. I too, am not hopeful. This motor refuses to be fixed.

16. Member
    You can adjust idle fuel mixture by adjusting tpi voltage at the idle stop range. It's in the shop manual.

17. Member
    Thx everyone. For now, I’ll back the TPS(TPI) off a hair and see if it helps. I’ll also try dons starting method. I’ll report back.

18. Member
    I’d say fuel quality number one! I had similar issues (almost to a new Motor)replaced stator, switch boxes and regulators. Tried quick clean. Still issues. There are two gas stations near where I recently moved that sell 91 non oxy ethanol free fuel. I used it then had boat problems, snowmobile problems and lawn mower problems. I realized I was probably one of the only ones buying it. I switched gas stations and elected 87 10% ethanol and it runs better than ever, and starts at the flick of a key after 2 sec prime. I ran 91 no ethanol for years no issues but lived in an area where it was used much more. I’m not excited about ethanol in my motor but I do what I can to keep it fresh.

96 200 efi
    to start I don’t touch the ball ever just half key two sec then turn over till it starts which is immediately. Last summer I would pump bulb throttle repeat hot starts were near impossible similar to Dons method would work.

I wish you you the best.

Dnot make this an ethanol debate plenty of reading on this site bout that subject just sharing what worked for me. I read most all of it and decided that 87 was what my motor needed and 10% is my only option. I plan to store with premium no eth from up north.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Are they Mercury Plugs and wires?
    Pick up a ajustable air gap spark tester, most parts stores have them and they are cheap
    While it is in a no start condition start with a 3/8 air gap and check for spark on all cylinders, if no spark reduce the air gap to 1/4 and check again
    I do not know the coils output on this motor so can not be specific on the proper air gap to test at. I am fairly sure though that bridging 1/4 gap would be more than enough voltage to start that motor
    How about it, does anyone know the does anyone reading this know the KV ouput for this motor
    If still no spark keep reducing the gap untill there is a spark to determine available voltage

Something I would do right away is check the crank sensor air gap as I recall about .020 to .050 and set it towards the minimum instead of maximum. While at it, OHM test as well while in failed state 300 to 350 ohms I think is correct, If you have a spark you can skip testing the crank sensor as that would be proof that it is working

I would also have a can of carb cleaner with me (NO STARTING FLUID) if it had good spark try opening throttle first, then try a little carb cleaner, maybe about a 2 sec burst and try again
    We need to determine if this is electrical or a fuel problem. If it fires up on the carb cleaner it may over rev, be prepared for this. Do not overdose it with the carb cleaner, all we are after here is to find if you need more or less fuel for starting
    Leon... I think you're thinking of a 3L model, this is a 2.5L with a Trigger under the flywheel.

Yep, that's why your are around, to correct our errors
    Its been so long since owned one I had forgot they even exist
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-30-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast