Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wrong threa
    Last edited by Haughton; 07-01-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

2. Member
    Update: problem persists. Turn key, starter engages, immediately disengages flywheel, it will not crank the motor for any length to check spark. One attempt actually resulted in a “dead key”. Nothing happened upon key turn. After advancing throttle to WOT the motor cranked, lit, settled itself, and ran fine. This was a very hot day, motor baking in the sun for hours.

3. Member
    checked bleed system, and oil check valve under vst mabe letting to much oil in, does it smoke bad when it does start ???? sign of fuel leak internal
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    How do I check the bleed system other than looking to see if all hoses are connected? Just normal 2stk smoke, nothing excessive.

5. Member
    they are one way check valves,hand vac pump,and make sure fuel is being dumped back in vap sep at idle, this mtr got a lot of time on it or rebuilt ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    I fought this on my 98 200 efi would start fine in the morning as the heat and humidity got sky high it would just pop once and kick out the starter over and over crack open the throttle and eventually get going wasn't as bad in the cooler weather. What fixed mine was modding the automatic enrichment circuit to manual push key in to choke. Just think of it as going from an automatic choke to manual on older cars.
    On the starter solenoid you will see 2 yellow wires with a thin red stripe that hook to the small lug. one comes from the main engine harness and the other one goes to the ecu disconnect the one from the solenoid that goes to the ecu. Now under the tape on top of the main eng harness plug you will find a yellow wire with a thin black stripe tucked back not hooked to anything attach this wire to the yellow/red that goes to the ecu.(There are 2 black wires with thin yellow stripes do not mess with them they go to the switch boxes)

Now the only time the enrichment circuit is activated is when you push the key in. First start of the morning push the key in while you start, after it starts if she stumbles a little just give the key another push till it smooths out.Mine in hot weather now might bump the starter out once but fires right up the second time.
    Heres a link from Scream and Fly with the wire diagram hope this helps. https://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?158197-Mercury-EFI-quot-push-key-to-choke-quot-enrichment-diagram

Last edited by tomcat; 07-16-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    JUSTIN LAWSON
    IL ANG 183FW Retired SMSGT
    1998 ASTRO2000 DC[Hooter Scooter] 200MERC EFI TRO4 23P
    Engine by Jay Smith Racing

7. Member
    Tomcat, thanks for taking the time to post this info. Seems like this could be what’s going on. I’ll check it out and report back.

8. Member
    No problem I hope this helps.
    Justin
    JUSTIN LAWSON

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There was a Service Bulletin (and kit) out for this circuit modification. It was usually installed for COLD start enrichment (but in this case would also serve to remove the enrichment during a starting cycle if the key is not pushed in).

Good job, Justin.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There was a Service Bulletin (and kit) out for this circuit modification. It was usually installed for COLD start enrichment (but in this case would also serve to remove the enrichment during a starting cycle if the key is not pushed in).

Good job, Justin.
    Don, do you offer this kit for sale?

11. Member
    I need to know something ,has this mtr always done this, when did it start,tried known good ecu yet ????

12. Member
    My ecu was replaced with a brand new mercury ecu, I’m not sure about Batman’s

13. Member
    kit p/n 42551a1 no longer available , non active parts lists has a bunch

14. Member
    Your just splicing two wires together butt splice and some heat shrink or elec tape. I soldered mine together then some heat shrink.
    Justin
    JUSTIN LAWSON

15. Member
    Update: After this modification my motor consistently starts well cold, also idles, and runs very smoothly throughout the throttle range. The the “push to enrich” feature works well on cool mornings. Unfortunately hot starts are still awful after the motor sits, starter motor instantly disengages the flywheel and I cannot crank for any length of time. advancing the throttle 3/4 or more will start the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman1977 View Post
    Update: After this modification my motor consistently starts well cold, also idles, and runs very smoothly throughout the throttle range. The the “push to enrich” feature works well on cool mornings. Unfortunately hot starts are still awful after the motor sits, starter motor instantly disengages the flywheel and I cannot crank for any length of time. advancing the throttle 3/4 or more will start the engine.
    Google (voltage drop testing a starting circuit) You will find a lot of video's and in depth procedures to help you perform these tests. They will mostly be regarding automotive but the principles are the same. If all drop tests pass and you have the correct battery for your application you probably have a defective starter assy. This sound like a starter circuit issues as you have described it. A recording allowing us the hear what happen when it fails would be useful
    Thank You Leon Pugh

17. Member
    ^^^^^^^ agreee

Quote Originally Posted by Batman1977 View Post
    Here’s a video link to the starting. It actually cranks for a second on the 6th try, which is not typical. Earlier Attempts are the norm. I’ll try voltage drop test once I’m home from vacation.
    Please do proceed with voltage drop test while cranking the motor just to be sure of no loss of connections
    It sound like when the motor pops like it is about to start, it kicks out the starter drive (disengages it) Do you hear the starter motor keep running as long as you keep it in the crank positions (motor not cranking just the starter motor continuing to spin)? Or is there just nothing. You may be fighting more than one problem, one of them being a bad starter drive or starter

That motor really sounds like it is wanting more fuel, try squirting about a 2 second blast of carb cleaner down the intake when it does this
    (No Starting Fluid). If no difference try about 3/4 throttle , Video results this could be very helpful

Also all the tool trucks and even Harbor freight have something called Noid lights. Check all injector harness connectors for a pulse when this occurs. Also check the wire that is common to all injectors (red I think) for stable voltage when it will not start. I am assuming you did check fuel pressure while in a no start condition right
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-24-2018 at 10:57 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Please do proceed with voltage drop test while cranking the motor just to be sure of no loss of connections
    It sound like when the motor pops like it is about to start, it kicks out the starter drive (disengages it) Do you hear the starter motor keep running as long as you keep it in the crank positions (motor not cranking just the starter motor continuing to spin)? Or is there just nothing. You may be fighting more than one problem, one of them being a bad starter drive or starter

That motor really sounds like it is wanting more fuel, try squirting about a 2 second blast of carb cleaner down the intake when it does this
    (No Starting Fluid). If no difference try about 3/4 throttle , Video results this could be very helpful

Also all the tool trucks and even Harbor freight have something called Noid lights. Check all injector harness connectors for a pulse when this occurs. Also check the wire that is common to all injectors (red I think) for stable voltage when it will not start. I am assuming you did check fuel pressure while in a no start condition right
    Leon: Most of these tests (noid lights and spraying stuff down the intake) are not possible on this engine model. This is a Laser-Style Injection System, butterflies on the BACK of the intake, and injectors are INSIDE the intake.

Good general theories... just not suitable to the application being discussed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Be sure to check while in failure mode
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast