Tachometer on 2011 250 SHO

My 2011 Ranger has a 250 SHO on it and recently the Tachometer has stopped reading from time to time. It will work for a while then stop for the rest of the day or not work when I first put the boat in and start up but will work later in the day if I crank up to move. Is this a Yamaha issue or a Ranger issue? Anyone had a similar experience? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. Member
    Following...my tach is super erratic... at idle will bounce from 900 to 1500 rpm with engine strike steady...sometimes if I tap it it settles down...

[B][I]Jeff

3. Member
    My tach is steady just a little off. I bought a Yamaha round tach (got it for the hour meter) and found out my factory tach was off.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

You could also add the Yamaha interface cable and read it on you Lowrance, if you have a Lowrance.

5. Member
    There's three wires on the back, make sure they are tight and clean. There is also a dial that is set to the number of poles for the motor. Turn the dial back and forth a couple of times but make sure you put it back where it was. They have little contacts in there that sometimes get some corrosion in them and flipping them back and forth can help them get good contact again.

6. Member
    Took my tach out and turned the dial back and forth a few times...I also unhooked my Talon alarm which goes to another gauge as I was concerned maybe a bad ground or loop from it was causing the erratic tach...worked perfect today! So, next time out I will hook up Talon alarm again and should narrow it down once and for all...

[B][I]Jeff

7. Member
    Update on my issue, seems as though the main wiring harness from the console to the motor had some corrosion inside the connection under the cowling. This was not visible without pulling apart and looking in the multipin plug. Replaced the wiring harness and that issue is resolved.