2000 518vx livewell runs non-stop

I've had this boat for a few years now and have not been able to get the livewells to auto pump or recirc. No matter which way I press down (left or right) on the livewell switch. Sometimes when I first start the livewell, it'll come on for a couple minutes then shut off and wont come back on again. when that happens I flip the switch the other direction and the livewell starts again but it runs continuously until I shut it off. I think the timer is bad but has anyone experienced this and/or replaced with a new timer?

I've turned the timer all the way counter-clockwise and all the way clockwise with no difference. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I’m no electrician, but it sounds like a timer or livewell switch problem to me. Have you tried disconnecting the timer altogether? If you did that and the livewell functioned 100% without the timer, you’d know the problem, and then could replace the timer switch if you wanted, or just leave it disconnected. The important thing, at least in my view, is that the livewell turns on when needed and off when needed. A timer is secondary in importance. The livewell switch itself could also be problematic.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    I have the same boat. Pressing the switch to the left is supposed to be on the timer,press right for constant on. Turning the timer dial CCW reduces the amount of off time,the on time is not affected. You most likely have a bad timer,it’s under that panel that the switches are in. Remove the panel and see if you can find a model number,if not,you can wire in a generic timer.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Very helpful, Rip. I learned something about that setup today. Now if I can just retain it....
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Great info, Thanks much!