What else might I buy instead of my H'bird 798 ci si?

I recently added a gps Navionics chip to my 587 ci hd. on the console. It works so well, I can see value in having the mapping portion of it on the front of my boat, too. Should have done it before. The 587 is using the old transducer from whatever HB unit was on the boat prior to this Summer. I don't remember the unit number. It works fine so far for my usage.

I have two boats, one in TX and one in TN. I carried the 2 units (HB 798 ci si and the HB 587 ci hd) with me to TN, but I did not take the transducers. These same two units will probably be brought back to TX in the Fall and be mounted on the boat that stays there. The correct transducer for the 798 is on the boat there now. I come back and forth every Summer/Winter.

I looked into the cost of just a replacement t'ducer for the 798 ci si and it appears to be $170.00 or so. If I add in another Navionics chip, that would add $130.00 more, or $300.00.

Since I am cheap, I wanted to know if there is any other unit or configuration (swapping them front to back?- or Cables between them?) that would save some money. If not, I'll just spend the $300.00 or so.

I have never used the side imaging but can see some value in it. Any help or comments appreciated. This site sure is a font of all knowledge when to comes to boats etc.

thanks rich

You can use a SI transducer with both units since both use 83/200 kHz for 2D sonar.
    Then you can choose to use SI at the bow or console just by swapping displays.
    They have the same mount and power cord.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    As usual, I am confused.

I think you are saying that I should buy the new transducer ( since the SI t'ducer that I own is now in Texas).

Also buy another chip?

And buy some sort of cable to connect the two units.
    Is that right? Thanks

No, there is no current cable to connect the units together. Install them separately and use them separately with the same transducer model.

If you want added mapping in both units, you need to put a map card in both units.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    "Install them separately and use them separately with the same transducer model."

So I would need some sort of transducer -Y- connector, I presume?

I think he is saying two totally independent setups. Front head unit/td and rear head unit/td.

7. Member
    Hmmm that adds $170. additional cost for a total of 170, 170, and 130 or $470.00

I guess I'll start out with the one transducer (added to the bow) and the one additional chip for $300.00 and see how it goes. I can always add the extra transducer. Since I already own one ( in Texas)...I don't think I want three of them.

I may decide to do add the additional transducer if it is too difficult to move them each Spring/Fall. I doubt it.

thanks for all of the help and input. Rich

You can prob buy used with Head unit, TD and chip for cheap.

I'm sure Wayne prob as a pile of them layin around

9. Member
    Wayne, do you have a pile of them around?