Thread: C-Rig Idea

C-Rig Idea

Anyone ever use a Biffle Head / Bug as the “weight” on a C-Rig? The eye on the biffle is vertical so I think it would require using a snap swivel.

I love to ledge fish and catch fish on both. I am just wondering if this would work. Also, what bait did you use or would you use on the secondary (c-rig)?

AS always, thanks in advance for your input!!

Since I use two hooks on my DS rigs, I like the way you're thinking. I can't figure out how the trailing leader would not mess up the wobble head or football jig. But if you try it and work out how to make it work well, I'd like to hear about it! Maybe I'm over-thinking it?

3. Member
    I am with you....are we overthinking it? I do think a snap swivel will play a part.

The eye on a biffle bug is “vertical”. There are other swinging jig heads that have a “horizontal” eye. I have one of them set up now.

I may try to run down to a local dock and see how it works.

I'd rather watch it work in a clear swimming pool. Alas, the HOA would chit a brick...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Since I use two hooks on my DS rigs, I like the way you're thinking. I can't figure out how the trailing leader would not mess up the wobble head or football jig. But if you try it and work out how to make it work well, I'd like to hear about it! Maybe I'm over-thinking it?

What is your catch % from top hook to bottom on your DS?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Orange Basser View Post
    What is your catch % from top hook to bottom on your DS?
    Really can't say. Probably catch more yellow perch on the top hook than bass. I've used a finesse jig on the bottom, instead of a DS weight, and caught bass on it. I've used a Shakyhead more, and get bigger bass on it, so my opinion is that I've been fishing too high off the bottom on the DS. lt would take some record-keeping to get any statistics, and I'm not interested in that...would rather fish.

I'd be more inclined to use a Shakyhead on the bottom, but would have to match it up with something that would require/tolerate the same hookset on the top hook. Maybe a Trickworm or Yum Dinger on a 3/0 EWG or something like that? I'll have to ponder the line & rod combination to use for that. I'd say a 7' M baitcaster with 10 lb FC, or a 7' MH spinning rod with 20 lb braid. I'll try it, one of these days. I like to experiment with weird stuff like that.

7. Member
    I've seen people use football jigs with drop shots and deep diver crankbaits with a c-rig trailer. Seems like a good idea to me.

8. Member
    There is a weight with a hook in it on TW designed specifically for this. Ive never used it but remember seeing it on there. Ut lets the line pass through nicely
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

A lot of these ideas were kicked around by Lake Erie guys a few years back. The problem most ran into was that the hookset style needed for the bait being used in place of the weight (usually a jig of some kind) was radically different than the hookset style used on a C-rig.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    Thought about that ......

11. Member
    Went to the docks and test cast the rig last night....perfect. No tangles.

Plan on trying it on the ledge in the next day or two.

12. Member
    I have done it some--using a jig for the c-rig weight. One of the reasons I do it seldomly is that when you hang a fish, that fish is dragging another bait with a hook through brush piles. So if you hand a fish on the c-rig, you now have a jig that can hang up while you are reeling in the fish. Same for a fish hung on the jig.

It does work. But I am not sure you weren't going to catch the fish with just one bait. A fish that is likely to hit a c-rig is also likely to hit a football head jig dragged by.

13. Member
    What got me thinking about this was the last time I went, the fish would not touch a C-rig but would a Biffle Bug.

It’s going to be interesting to see if the catch ratio is better on one depending on the day.

Haven’t thought about the “other” bait after hooking a fish.....gonna give a try and see.