Need some advice

I was doing my routine maintenance on my motor today and noticed that the drain screw on my lower unit had some oil residue around the screw it has not been dripping it is parked on pavement. I drained all oil it was a little milky. Once it drained all out I pumped in fresh oil from the top hole to flush anymore water out an when I shined a flash light on it I could see small Metal flakes like glitter in oil. I am replacing all drain screws what else should I do to make sure my lower unit don’t go out on me.

Hope you are replacing gaskets as well...

Should not need new screws. Just the seals. Blue ones, NOT the yellow ones.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

4. Banned
    Water isn't good; it's likely going to need new prop shaft seals.
    Bits of glitter can be somewhat normal.
    Did you refill from the bottom after flushing it?

Yes refilled from the bottom. I do this about every 6 months so it hasn’t been like this like long

6. Member
    When I had a similar issue, my mechanic filled and refilled three times to flush any water out. Three years later, all is well.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Water isn't good; it's likely going to need new prop shaft seals.
    Bits of glitter can be somewhat normal.
    Did you refill from the bottom after flushing it?
    He said that gear oil was leaking from the drain plug so that's probably where the water intrusion came from too.
    My neighbor just went through the same thing this spring. He noticed a little gear oil on his skeg coming from the drain screw. We drained the lube and it was milky so we flushed it out and refilled it with fresh oil and ran it a couple times then changed it again.
    Weve checked it a few times since then by dipping an Allen wrench at the overflow screw hole and it's been fine.

8. Member
    Fishing line hidden behind a prop can and will cost you a lot of money. It is good practice to pull the prop from time to time and check regardless of water in your foot oil.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    He said that gear oil was leaking from the drain plug so that's probably where the water intrusion came from too.
    My neighbor just went through the same thing this spring. He noticed a little gear oil on his skeg coming from the drain screw. We drained the lube and it was milky so we flushed it out and refilled it with fresh oil and ran it a couple times then changed it again.
    Weve checked it a few times since then by dipping an Allen wrench at the overflow screw hole and it's been fine.
    Oil floats on top of water.
    He should be cracking the drain screw to let out a few drops if he really wants to know if there's water in there.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    Oil floats on top of water.
    He should be cracking the drain screw to let out a few drops if he really wants to know if there's water in there.
    You are right about that. We always check it immediately after running it to see if it's milky.

Pull the LU and bring it somewhere to be pressure/vac tested. I just did this recently - cost me only $20 to have done.

I tried it myself, but didn't get it right. What I diagnosed as only a shift rod seal was also/or propshaft seal and or o-ring. Once I replaced all upper and lower seals, and then had it professionally tested, it's sealed up and good to go!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Scbassmaster View Post
    I was doing my routine maintenance on my motor today and noticed that the drain screw on my lower unit had some oil residue around the screw it has not been dripping it is parked on pavement. I drained all oil it was a little milky. Once it drained all out I pumped in fresh oil from the top hole to flush anymore water out an when I shined a flash light on it I could see small Metal flakes like glitter in oil. I am replacing all drain screws what else should I do to make sure my lower unit don’t go out on me.
    You didn't mention what model motor you have or how old it is, but this year I noticed that when I put my boat in the water I would have a very small sheen of oil behind the boat (I keep my boat on a lift). I also had a pressure test and it turned out that my shaft seals had worn out and need replaced. My motor was 14 years old.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway