BF 250 Performance update "1st TOURNAMENT"

Wow what a difference it makes having a outboard that you can go out and practice 2 and a half days then fish the tournament and not even think about having a Issue.

I just got back from the FLW/BFL on Lake Champlain due to conditions I was reminded that very rarely can we run a boat wot in a tournament. The day started out with ruff conditions and high winds and by the end of the day it was fairly calm but not flat. I decided to run my worked 24 Tempest and not my fastest prop "26 Fury" and what a good move that was the nose lifted easy over the big waves with the 24 Tempest, due to the mid range performance being awesome!!! It never got flat to the point that I could run wot so I don't know with a real world tournament load what it would run. I do have to admit that for the first time since I have owned the outboard I experienced it have a hard time coming out of the hole so i'm not sure about the ability to run any prop over a 25 with a massive load. Now when it came out of the hole slow all I had to do was put the jack plate up high a she came out slow, but she did come out. I had a massive load at this time of day, we had livewells full and not much less then a full tank because when we each had our first fish it was very early in the tournament.

The bottom line is I put 15 bed fish in my gps and all 15 were caught. By the end of the day I culled up to 18 lb 1 oz good for 17th place out of 148 on the boater side. No one had 20 lbs so weights were tight with 7 total ties inside the money, so all checks were diluted down. My co angler caught me sleeping on one of my bed fish that he threw in on that cost me 2nd place, but all considered a great event. The Honda ran me out and back covering over 90 total miles in a day because my fish were so spread out and not one single issue.

Like I said in prior posts I'm now at approximately 67 to 70 mph with a heavy load, it is about 3 to 4 mph slower then my Yamaha and about 4 to 5 mph slower then my Mercury outboard's all with the same heavy loads and hot temps. After fishing this first tournament and not having one single issue all day and making it back to the weigh in on time all at the lowest fuel consumption I have ever experienced, I am more then happy to give up 3 to 5 mph.

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Congrats, sounds like a few more tweaks and you'll be right where you want to be.

The new Mercury V8 will do everything much better than the Honda performance wise but we don't know how it will hold up yet...Sounds like you are happy with the Honda though so good for you.

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar

maybe they just need some height and big ass props like a chopper

6. Member
    I know every one says plug all holes on pvs props for any 4 stroke outboard and I always have. Do you guys think that if we used the very small hole pvs plugs so it just let out a very little bit of air we could get out of the hole with a larger prop and not over rev on take off?? I'm not saying holes wide open just a tiny bit of air.

I'm going to also post this on general board.

The Bass Cat/Honda pros were experimenting with ventilation using the Fury 4 prop...Don't recall what the outcome was... You could try contacting them on facebook.

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Just get solid plugs take a few drill bits and have at it till the hole shot is better

9. Member
    Solid vent plugs work best for holeshot. Do not fall for the two stroke tips on your Honda.