Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Are you all wiring the bunk lights so they are on whenever the headlights are on, or on a separate switch? And if on a separate switch, switch in the tow vehicle or on the trailer? I'd use a relay either way, seems like looking for trouble from the police having them on while underway on the road.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

2. mikesxpress
    Mine are on when the running lamps are on. Virginia state police followed me into the gas station one morning so he could see how the bunks were lit. Stafford county cop is in the process of lighting the bunks on his Ranger.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 06-28-2018 at 04:19 PM.

3. Member
    ha, gotcha. So you are pretty comfortable that it should be ok. Thanks Mike.

4. mikesxpress
    The lit bunks are adding a ground effect around the footprint of the trailer and not cascading much past that. If you had direct white light shining out to the sides it would be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    ha, gotcha. So you are pretty comfortable that it should be ok. Thanks Mike.
    Any lighting that does not meet state/federal trailer lighting requirements would be illegal. It would be completely up to a LEO's discretion on whether or not a citation would be written... your results WILL vary! lol. So I think the answer to this question comes down to each person's comfort level.

For me, I'd wire a waterproof switch on the winchstand/tongue just to be safe. If you were to be stopped with them turned on, simply turn them off.

The do look great, and would make loading at night a breeze.

I used an RF remote similar to this for the deck LEDs on my boat. Could probably do the same for auxiliary trailer/bunk lights too... turn them on/off from the truck?
    https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Sing...ote+controller

6. mikesxpress
    They are fine.
    Retired FedLeo

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Any lighting that does not meet state/federal trailer lighting requirements would be illegal. It would be completely up to a LEO's discretion on whether or not a citation would be written... your results WILL vary! lol. So I think the answer to this question comes down to each person's comfort level.

For me, I'd wire a waterproof switch on the winchstand/tongue just to be safe. If you were to be stopped with them turned on, simply turn them off.

The do look great, and would make loading at night a breeze.

I used an RF remote similar to this for the deck LEDs on my boat. Could probably do the same for auxiliary trailer/bunk lights too... turn them on/off from the truck?
    https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Sing...ote+controller

10+ years ago I was going to do the bunk lights. I never did, But I was going to wire them off the running lights through a water witch switch before the lights. This is a no moving parts bilge switch that only works when submerged. I was going to put the switch on rear of the trailer.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Water-Witch-E...ProductDetails

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

8. Member
    Both the remote and water witch are cool ideas too!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    New install on my Phoenix with some Gatorbak Premium Clear Bunk Covers with Plashlights ip68 underwater LEDs
    I do sell these products if anyone is interested.
    oh thats my UFO in the back ground with some Nightfishion rubrail lighting.
    Wouldn't mind knowing more about how you wired the bunk and Amber lights under the rails, and also the little red pole lights at the back corners. Have a precise idea of where the back corners are at night sure would be nice.

10. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Wouldn't mind knowing more about how you wired the bunk and Amber lights under the rails, and also the little red pole lights at the back corners. Have a precise idea of where the back corners are at night sure would be nice.
    I will be happy to answer any questions about lighting or any other gadgets, I sell those pole lights also,

my bunks are not lit going down the road they are on a remote in my truck, sometimes I just install switches by the wench up front, push the button when you are getting the boat ready to launch, they will cut off with the headlights anyway, my other lights are all legal anyway, amber in front of the axles and red behind the axles.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

11. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I made a set of dual intensity circuits for the pole lights so they work with the brake and turn also

https://youtu.be/OU2JOl_v5YU
    info@drewcraft.com

13. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    here are just the trailer lights
    info@drewcraft.com

14. Member
    Thanks!

15. Member
    HI- I put "bunk enders/e-z slides" on mine--they are black and make it significantly easier to get the boat on/off the trailer---I can push the boat off with one hand, and pull it on the trailer with no effort---(just pull the bow rope) I just put them on top of the carpet. It looks like you changed the whole bunk with pressure treated wood-- Is that what you did? Do these operate the same as the "ez slides"?

I fish exclusively at night here in the broiler oven of the US (phoenix) where its currently 112+ outside- so its just way to hot in the daytime. Anything that makes it easier to retrieve the boat at night is a definite welcome. I don't need my boat trailer to look like las vegas, but I can control that by just getting what I need---obviously you have everything on yours. Thanks

16. mikesxpress
    www.gatorbak.com

The Q&A section on the website will answer most questions. The Gatorbak covers are not slick like the hard plastic you currently have. They have about the same "stickyness" as carpet.

17. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtsaz View Post
    HI- I put "bunk enders/e-z slides" on mine--they are black and make it significantly easier to get the boat on/off the trailer---I can push the boat off with one hand, and pull it on the trailer with no effort---(just pull the bow rope) I just put them on top of the carpet. It looks like you changed the whole bunk with pressure treated wood-- Is that what you did? Do these operate the same as the "ez slides"?

I fish exclusively at night here in the broiler oven of the US (phoenix) where its currently 112+ outside- so its just way to hot in the daytime. Anything that makes it easier to retrieve the boat at night is a definite welcome. I don't need my boat trailer to look like las vegas, but I can control that by just getting what I need---obviously you have everything on yours. Thanks
    yes mine is a little extreme, so was my bicycle back in 1979 . its all on separate switches and remotes.
    yes I used new treated boards just to make it quick and easy to swap them out at the boat ramp and they cant go over carpet.
    like Mike said these are not as slick as your e-z slides.

mtsaz Im a dealer for Gatorbak and Plashlights, I will be happy to send you a quote if yo are interested.
    info@drewcraft.com

I was a pioneer using better bunk boards...so glad to see more products.....used Ultimates out of Georgia around 2004......they have a stronger version out now...never understood using wood the past 10 years when boats are much heavier more expensive...anyway, I have a 2016 ZX225 so will be in the market in a year or so...wood rots, and faster in the deep south...will explore gatorbak

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

19. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reelman View Post
    I was a pioneer using better bunk boards...so glad to see more products.....used Ultimates out of Georgia around 2004......they have a stronger version out now...never understood using wood the past 10 years when boats are much heavier more expensive...anyway, I have a 2016 ZX225 so will be in the market in a year or so...wood rots, and faster in the deep south...will explore gatorbak
    let me know if yo have any questions or need a Quote
    info@drewcraft.com

20. Member
    How does the Gatorbak relate to carpet resistance wise when un hooked and being backed into the water?

Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast