150 Pro XS - Water Pressure PSI / Tach [warrantied guages]

Hi All-

For my 150 Pro XS Serial # 2B522604 - I recently had both my water pressure and tach guage replaced. My main (Mercury related) question is, I noticed that my water pressure shot up from ~13 psi to 25 psi at WOT - Idle is 5 psi. This is AFTER I had the engine's 100hr service where I asked that they replaced the impeller (and gaskets) in addition to the spark plugs.

Is 25psi normal for my engine at WOT (right after replacing the impeller)? I did emphasize the low water pressure with the dealer and they seemed to have fixed it [too well?].

The other question is (and I highly suspect this isnt right), my RPMS at WOT are 4,600...whereas before they replaced the gauges I was running at 5,900 at WOT. Seems like I swapped a perfectly good working gauge. They [dealer] deemed the original tach faulty.

Ultimately, i just wanted to know if this sounds normal and ideal for the water pressure?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Sometimes water pressure is real high the first time out after a new water pump, but will settle down after its used a couple of times. is the tach a analog gauge? If so it maybe set on the wrong setting on the back switch.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    likely set wrong
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... if it's an analog tach, it's probably not set correctly.

Water pressure is not a problem, though it will likely settle down after a few trips to the water.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor