Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winnipesaukee and rock bass

Man the rock bass on winnipesaukee are taking over. Caught over 30 one day last week in about 2 hours. Anyone else experiencing something similar?

2. Member
    Last few times I've fished there, they've been a nightmare for me. As much as it may kind of suck to do, we all need to do our part to erradicate them from that lake. It's going to take a ton of work though. NH F&G lists them as invasive. If you've got a garden or know others that do, start keeping them for fertilizer.

Screenshot_20180618-173426.jpg

Hope you killed the 30 you caught

I caught like 15 last year in a couple hours during a T. Sick of those things. Gonna start keeping/killing what I catch. Supposedly good eating.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

and people wonder why the smallie fishing in Winni is getting worse? look what happened to Sunapee, it became Suckapee. although I hear it is turning around, I also know they that they have catch and kill days there. we need to start doing that on Winni. they are pretty good table fair.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yanknbass View Post
    and people wonder why the smallie fishing in Winni is getting worse? look what happened to Sunapee, it became Suckapee. although I hear it is turning around, I also know they that they have catch and kill days there. we need to start doing that on Winni. they are pretty good table fair.
    Any time I brought up Sunapee when I wanted to fish it about 6-7 years ago, I was told it was finally starting to rebound thanks to a concerted effort by locals, and locals spreading the word, to kill every single rock bass you caught. It took a long time, but it started to have a positive impact on the fishery. Going to take a while to bring the population of those things down sufficiently, and then even more time for the smallmouth to rebound...

7. Banned
    Unfortunately they are here to stay. Winnie is just to large to control them. It will get nothing but worse . Killing everyone you catch is just a feel good moment. It won't even touch the population of them. They breed twice a year and there is nothing anyone is going to do to change it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroVanDam View Post
    Unfortunately they are here to stay. Winnie is just to large to control them. It will get nothing but worse . Killing everyone you catch is just a feel good moment. It won't even touch the population of them. They breed twice a year and there is nothing anyone is going to do to change it.
    Only way I see this getting better is everyone that catches any, kills them all, and F&G puts on some sort of event when they spawn to encourage people to go out and catch as many as they can. Work with any farms local to the lake and donate it to them for fertilizer, put together a few prizes for total number caught, heaviest total caught, etc. Don't they do something similar to that down south for carp in some lakes where they've gotten out of hand?

If I catch one near the shore, up on the land he goes. If I get one out deeper, he goes back without a gill.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by NitroVanDam View Post
    Sunapee was in a worse situation and it has come back. It would take years and the combined efforts from fishermen and F&G but it is possible.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmanfishing View Post
    Sunapee was in a worse situation and it has come back. It would take years and the combined efforts from fishermen and F&G but it is possible.
    I have to disagree with that.

Winnie.. 44,586 acres, Sunapee has 4,136 acres. Winnie Shore length 288 miles, Sunapee 70.1 miles. Winnie Max length 20.8 miles, Sunapee is 8.1 miles. Winnie is spinning spinning spinning out of control. This is just my Common sense look at things. Hope F&G cares, BUT we all know they don't.

Spinning out of control in what context, people catching more rock bass? It's not that F&G cares or doesn't care it's that they are under funded, under staffed, and manage hundreds of species in the state. It's just not at the top of their list I'm sure.

13. Banned
    Spinning out of control in what context, people catching more rock bass?

Yes, Rock bass. Isn't that what this thread is about or are you trying to SPIN this conversation?

I'm not sure how asking a question and following up on your F&G comment is in any way spinning the conversation. However, I will say again that efforts to reduce or maintain populations of rock bass would take a concerted effort and would not happen overnight. I agree with ideas like 603's for finding creative ways to help, and at the same time get others (farms to donate to) involved and aware of the situation.

The size of winni is also not directly related to it being an impossible task either, since rock bass do not inhabit every square inch but rather concentrated areas of the lake. There are many factors that contribute to the rise and fall of a population and honestly even with our efforts, mother nature has a way of ensuring checks and balances, i.e. rock bass hitting carrying capacities and crashing as a result. Rock bass have actually been in the lake for a long time. So the better question is what is now causing their population to increase?

If you haven't, you should read this article from 2016.
    https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...0fc197531.html
    Last edited by jmanfishing; 06-21-2018 at 12:51 PM.

15. Member
    In 2016 he predicts they will crash,I wonder what the time table is for this crash? I’m understanding the Rock Bass are a fairly large problem on Winni,two years after the article.
    Red Sox in 6!

16. Member
    I can't give any credit to someone who can't spell WINNI!! :-). Justin is a very good resource when it comes to issues that impact the Lakes Region (especially Winni) and is a huge conservation activist, so I don't think he is trying to spin the conversation rather he is offering some knowledge and insight to the conversation.
    Last edited by doogie01801; 06-21-2018 at 07:21 AM.
    Scott Doughty
    2022 Skeeter ZX225 - 2022 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Salem, NH

17. Member
    As for the rock bass, my kid's have a ball catching them. However, they go back without a tail or minus some gills (to become turtle food).
    Last edited by doogie01801; 06-21-2018 at 07:21 AM.
    Scott Doughty
    2022 Skeeter ZX225 - 2022 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Salem, NH

18. Banned
    What highlight?? Please inform everyone how to do this. I also disagree that they are just in certain areas. You can catch them in Lee's Mills you can catch them
    in Paugus Bay you can catch them outside Saunders Bay you can catch them at Alton Bay you can catch them in Meredith Bay you can catch them in the broads drop-shotting 70 feet of water. You can catch them in Center Harbor off the center Harbor Docks.

Not sure what you're asking for, but you just named several areas of the lake. So again, not every square inch, but I get what you're saying.

Someone catching them here and there is not quantitative... fish surveys would be a better window into community/population estimates and help to inform proper management decisions.
    Last edited by jmanfishing; 06-20-2018 at 02:25 PM.

they are everywhere, you cant find a rock pile on the lake that is not full of them, most docks on the lake have them, 15 years ago someone threw some in smith cove ,i caught a few and reported it to f&g, back then they said there was nothing they could do about it ,from winni to opeeche to winnisquam they are everywhere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast