Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Personally, I can barely wait for self-driving vehicles to completely take over.
    Eliminates texting while driving, DUI, eating while driving, makeup while driving, etc.
    And best of all, I can do the wild thing in the back seat with my date.
    While traffic moves at a perfectly synchronized pace without chaos or road rage.
    Just another freedom people are willing to give up.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Hendrick View Post
    Hence the problem. So your attitude is F you it's all about me?
    No. The attitude is all about me, as in you. I want to run 90 mph on a 70 mph road unsafely I might add and you get out of my dang way and if you get in my way I want the police to punish you harshly.

Pull over in the right lane at 70 mph with the 55 mph trucks and other slower vehicles and see if people let you out to pass. Not on your life they won't let you out. You'll be stuck in the right lane riding your brakes with no way back out to pass. I normally run 75 to 80 mph, keep a safe following distance and don't cut in and out of lanes causing people to hit their brakes which causes rearend collisions on the highway.

If it makes you mad, then so be it, but I'm not going to spend my time worrying about it.

3. Member
    I was taught to stay in the center or right lane unless I was passing. The wife likes the left lane but moves over when a car comes up on her. A few years ago we went to San Diego and decided to return at midnight. I was doing the right lane on the highway at 85 mph coming down a hill when a car passed me on the left on a divided highway. It really blew my mind and I was asking if I had somehow gotten off the road. It was a drunk at 2am driving on the wrong side. We would definitely be dead if I was a left lane driver.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    How about not breaking the law by speeding?!? I hate this debate every gd time it comes up. Its wrong for people to break the law by driving in the left lane by perfectly fine for speeders to break the law?!?! Wtf?? Picking and choosing what laws you break because it's what works for you is the root of the problem.
    Aren't the left laners picking and choosing which laws they want to break because it works for them, too? So, yeah, seriously, WTF?!

The real ROOT of the problem is the lack of courtesy and respect for others, imho. What ever happened about doing something a certain way just because it helped the greater good? The greater good, in this case, is to avoid traffic bottlenecks and dangerous driving situations with cars traveling in close proximity of one another with few ways to avoid collisions if somebody makes a mistake.

There are numerous traffic studies that show speed isn't as much a danger on an interstate as multiple lanes of traffic traveling at the same speed - whether that speed is above or below the speed limit.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gleninaz View Post
    I was taught to stay in the center or right lane unless I was passing. The wife likes the left lane but moves over when a car comes up on her. A few years ago we went to San Diego and decided to return at midnight. I was doing the right lane on the highway at 85 mph coming down a hill when a car passed me on the left on a divided highway. It really blew my mind and I was asking if I had somehow gotten off the road. It was a drunk at 2am driving on the wrong side. We would definitely be dead if I was a left lane driver.
    Had a similar instance a number of years ago on the way to a fishing T about 4:30 AM. I saw the headlights coming at me on the Expressway and thought I must not have gotten enough sleep... only to have someone go by the wrong way.... Was definitely scary. Called 911 ASAP, they didn't seem too concerned.

This discussion is pretty simple. Right Lane is Driving Lane, Left Lane is Passing Lane. If faster traffic is behind you, get over when it is safe to do so. Its safer, keeps traffic moving and prevents road rage.

6. Member
    My Question has always been is why is the left lane more attractive to drive in than the right lane, when no one is in either lane. Poor driving skill ie not being able to keep the vehicle in lane with just a dotted line. just like people that cann't judge speed or have the skill to judge distance. Some people just suck at driving big time.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TopWaterGuy View Post
    My Question has always been is why is the left lane more attractive to drive in than the right lane, when no one is in either lane. Poor driving skill ie not being able to keep the vehicle in lane with just a dotted line. just like people that cann't judge speed or have the skill to judge distance. Some people just suck at driving big time.
    Because these people are inconsiderate at best, but a lot of them feel it is their duty to slow you down.

Specific to interstate/state highway traveling...You can rationalize/make excuses all you want...If you ride the left lane with no regard to faster traffic behind you...You are a dumbass, and part of the traffic problem. Period.

Kudos to the officer.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TopWaterGuy View Post
    My Question has always been is why is the left lane more attractive to drive in than the right lane, when no one is in either lane.
    Come out to CA and drive in the right lane. You'll get beat to death from ruts, potholes and cracks.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Come out to CA and drive in the right lane. You'll get beat to death from ruts, potholes and cracks.
    Most lanes in Ca. are trashed. It when you get to the sierras the left lane is really beat up.

12. Member
    I "think" Mississippi passed a law this year to stop the morons from driving in the left lane except to pass. I thought it was supposed to take effect in May or this month. I also heard that they were NOT going to enforce it because of being accused of profiling

I used to drive 18 wheelers and used to have a ton of respect for them. But as of late the "Get your license to drive the BIG RIGS in only 3 weeks" crowd is really giving truckers a bad image. Those "schools" turn what was a housewife or Walmart greeter 3 weeks ago loose with an 80K pound rig and they think they own the road. They will ride the left lane for miles to try and pass another truck that is going .0000000023 mph slower than they are. I followed one (I was in the right lane) for 12 miles last week while they tried to pass another truck. Every time they got their speed up while going down hill to go around, they started up the next hill. Then on the down hill side both trucks ended up going the same speed. On a flat, straight section of the interstate, they both ran the exact same speed. There was two lanes of cars behind them that went out of site. Looked like a funeral.
    You can tell the old school drivers. They will attempt to pas once or twice then settle in behind the other truck.
    Hi Mike.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by g352nv View Post
    Most lanes in Ca. are trashed. It when you get to the sierras the left lane is really beat up.
    The right lane in the Sierras is rutted from trucks with chains.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    Aren't the left laners picking and choosing which laws they want to break because it works for them, too? So, yeah, seriously, WTF?!

The real ROOT of the problem is the lack of courtesy and respect for others, imho. What ever happened about doing something a certain way just because it helped the greater good? The greater good, in this case, is to avoid traffic bottlenecks and dangerous driving situations with cars traveling in close proximity of one another with few ways to avoid collisions if somebody makes a mistake.

There are numerous traffic studies that show speed isn't as much a danger on an interstate as multiple lanes of traffic traveling at the same speed - whether that speed is above or below the speed limit.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hulapopr View Post
    doesn't take much to be labeled a hero.
    Putting on a police uniform everyday is enough !!!

16. Member
    Left lane liberals. They literally don't want anyone getting ahead.
    2001 Ranger R71
    Merc 125
    MinnKota 74# Maxxum
    Humminbird 999
    Humminbird 859

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Specific to interstate/state highway traveling...You can rationalize/make excuses all you want...If you ride the left lane with no regard to faster traffic behind you...You are a dumbass, and part of the traffic problem. Period.
    Simple question, you ok with people going 10,15 or 20 mph over the posted speed limit?

18. Banned
    Simple question, you ok with people going 10,15 or 20 mph over the posted speed limit?
    You didn't ask me but, yes I absolutely am perfectly fine with folks driving even 30 mph over the posted speed limit. I watch my rearview and will happily clear a path for them. Gives the speed trap up ahead someone besides me to look at.

19. Member
    So you're basically admitting you drive in the left lane to slow people down behind you?

Unreal mindset...not surprising...but simply unreal.
    2001 Ranger R71
    Merc 125
    MinnKota 74# Maxxum
    Humminbird 999
    Humminbird 859

20. Banned
    yes i may be breaking the law by speeding in the left lane, but you are not a cop. it's not your job to police my speed. i don't care if i'm doing 100 mph. if someone comes up behind me, i was taught to move the heck over. i have no issue at all with someone going as fast as they want. they help clear for me going 8 mph over

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast