Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Battery but still having issues

SN is 0G423933 XR6 150. My battery was bad when tested at auto store wouldn't hold a charge. Got a new battery and installed it and now when I turn key nothing dead silence! One thing I've noticed is my fuel gauge is pegged full, but when I disconnect battery it goes back down. Something strange going on. Any ideas?
    Last edited by bsud; 06-18-2018 at 02:32 PM.
    1996 Nitro 180TF with a Merc XR6 150hp. Lowrance electronics.

2. Member
    try diffent batt does new one show full charge
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure you have the battery connected PROPERLY. Sounds like incorrect connections at the battery- possibly reverse polarity.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Make sure you have the battery connected PROPERLY. Sounds like incorrect connections at the battery- possibly reverse polarity.
    I've triple checked and that's all good. Now I'm getting a buzzing sound like the starter is spinning. All my gauges are working right but it's not turning over. The battery has full voltage on it.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Snap a picture of your battery and connections to post here.

Also a good idea to have the "new" battery load tested. "New" does not necessarily mean "good".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Snap a picture of your battery and connections to post here.

Also a good idea to have the "new" battery load tested. "New" does not necessarily mean "good".
    I know the Battery is connected properly. Also I bought a battery, put it in, Nothing so I took it back and told them they gave me another one and tested it before I walked out the door with it.

7. Member
    When I turn the key to on position, everything is working properly off that cranking battery. When I try to start motor so.ething at motor makes a noise but it will not turn over.

8. Member
    loose connection or bad starter
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    20180621_122538-600x800.jpg

Here is pic of battery connection. Also when I turn the key to start my gauges move up a bit from where they are then drop back when I'm not trying to start motor.

10. Member
    Call me stupid!! I found my own problem which was me. I forgot to hook the neg cable up ��������

11. Member
    But I have another issue. I started it up with muffs, and let it run right around 4-5 min and it never started peeing water! It's scary to stand there while running and wait and wait and wait! ��

Mine does the same, takes time for stats to open. Give it another shot

Joe can tell you if you temp buzzer
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

Quote Originally Posted by bsud View Post
    Call me stupid!! I found my own problem which was me. I forgot to hook the neg cable up ��������
    I did the opposite one time. Hooked up the motor neg but the neg for the wiring going to the front fell down on the side and I missed it. Got to the lake and the big motor worked okay but I didn't have any gauges or sonars.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haughton View Post
    Mine does the same, takes time for stats to open. Give it another shot

Joe can tell you if you temp buzzer
    Yeah but how long? Before it seemed to start peeing in 1-2min. It ran this time I know 5 min and nothing. I know I'm using hose and muffs, but I have always used that in the driveway just to keep things up to par. I dont fish much in summer, so I try to crank it atleast once month, if it's not on lake

15. Member
    should have seen some water in that time check for obstructions in hole ,you see any water on top of cav plate coming out ?????

16. Member
    [QUOTE=JOE54;9450993]should have seen some water in that time check for obstructions in hole ,you see any water on top of cav plate coming out

Not sure if water coming out at the Cav plate. I didn't pay much attention.

17. Member
    youll see it at cav plte before p hole, thermostats regulate discharge at p hole

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    youll see it at cav plte before p hole, thermostats regulate discharge at p hole
    I'm pretty sure there was water coming out there at cav plate, cause it was coming out up above the muffs

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    -Good catch on the negative cable- that's what we were looking for. The "Overlooked".

-Telltale is supplied from the THERMOSTATS, and there will be little or no telltale until (or unless) the thermostats are open.

Watch WATER PRESSURE as an indication that water pump is functioning. Also- if running on a flush attachment, the PRIMARY exist point is the center of the propeller bore.

20. Member
    -Good catch on the negative cable- that's what we were looking for. The "Overlooked".

-Telltale is supplied from the THERMOSTATS, and there will be little or no telltale until (or unless) the thermostats are open.

Watch WATER PRESSURE as an indication that water pump is functioning. Also- if running on a flush attachment, the PRIMARY exist point is the center of the propeller bore.
    The hose was clogged with trash. It's now peeing water since I unclogged it. I did take thermos out and they looked pretty rough and not Sealing good now, a little water is leaking around them.

Now I'm going to go ahead and buy two thermostats. What kind do I need to get for the 96 xr6 150?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast