Thread: Pick a lake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pick a lake

For those of you that have spent time on all 3 lakes, which would you prefer between Smith Mountain. Kerr/Buggs or Gaston? I'm thinking big picture, fishing, recreation, community or feel of the place, if there is such a thing.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Honestly, depending on the time of year, I would choose any one of the three.

3. Member
    Let's say you wanted to have a piece of property on one, that change anything? Because property on each for the different seasons is out of the question.....ha.

I would go with Kerr. It's far less populated.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

5. Member
    Best Buy is at Kerr for price tag. Down side the lake fluctuates a bunch. Gaston is more money and more boat traffic. SML is my favorite but the furthest drive for me. Also more money and very busy boat traffic in the summer. Gaston and a SML have places you can go by boat to grab dinner/lunch. I guess it depends on what means the most to your needs?

6. Member
    Been leaning toward Kerr as well, I've heard the boat traffic is less, and there is so much there to explore. Whatever we do I'd like to be able to rent it, so we were initially thinking SML or Gaston simply because they are so busy. But dang, shacks are expensive at SML and not far behind at Gaston - much better at Kerr as you say. From speaking to some people from Clarksville, they say the rental market is growing. They also say the fluctuation can be dealt with with their floating docks and what not. I'd prefer a hard, permanent dock/boat house arrangement but I'm not sure I should prioritize that. My bass boat wouldn't stay in the water, most likely, but were we to get a pontoon, it would stay in more than likely. Having the boat lifts and what not at the other lakes is so nice though. A dock seems like a small thing, but it's kind of a big factor I guess, just don't know.

I have not experienced the mayhem of SML. Every time we've gone has been after labor day, and it's fricking awesome.

I don't know if it's possible, but I'd like for whatever we do to be favoravble to other fishermen from the rental perspective as well. I realize I can't market it just for that, but I want it to be appealing to people that want to fish, for what that's worth in a rental situation.

7. Member
    look at hyco lake. fixed docks,not over crowded and bass fishing year round. best kept secret in the area
    wife and I travel a little over an hour one way at least 30 times a year to fish it. most people think it has nothing but small bass but they are wrong. good water color and not much fluctuation. do yourself a favor and check it out

8. Member
    Thanks for that, good to know. I've never been there, but I've seen in on maps and it has caught my eye. I'll give the area a look!

Know anything about South Holston?

9. Member
    at hyco you'd be about 30 min to Kerr, 45 min to the lower end of smith mountain, probably about the same to Gaston. 15 min to mayo lake which is another good one.

10. Member
    sorry. I don't know anything about south holston.

My vote goes to SML. Especially if you’re looking for something that’s family oriented. Also the fishing is good year round, it’s extremely navigable for night fishing(which can be a blast this time of year), and you can get a house that has a dock for all your needs.

But then again, spend a weekend there on Memorial Day and then make up your mind.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Kerr Lake for me all day every day! The scenery is way better (hate all them houses at Gaston and SML). Lot of fishing options especially if the water is above normal pool. Not saying the fishing is better but more to my liking.

13. Member
    I prefer less people. Given the choice, I go where there are less people any day. But this isn't all about me either, with a family and wanting to rent it.

I wonder if Kerr, particularly up near Clarksville, is at the beginning of growth what with SML and Gaston pretty well built out. For that reason, and yeah, the lack of homes right on the water everywhere, been leaning that way too. Thanks for the input gents.

14. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Kerr is my choice for fishing. We used to have our BBC Rallies on Kerr. Stayed at Bayview Efficiencies in Clarksville. Had some great times! Special thanks to Firebassr and Mrs Firebassr!!!

I live just 2 hrs away, so not concerned with buying or renting.

15. Member
    I like Gaston. For family fun, taking boat to eat and all that its hard to beat. Fishing at Kerr is a short drive away. Think renting would be better at Gaston too. We have a place at Gaston ( trailer not a house) and have really enjoyed it so far. Lake isn't too bad except for summer. Early morning and evening are nice too. Even on busy weekends it calms down a lot Sunday afternoons.
    SML is much more of a drive. We are from Chesterfield too and the drive to Gaston/Kerr is very manageable for weekends. I am sure any of them would be great though.
    Semper Fi

16. Member
    Thanks Lea. I think I knew that you liked Kerr. It certainly the biggest, might take a while, and some good networking with other folks, to figure out the good fishing areas.

17. Member
    Great question and I've been thinking the same thing as I close in on retirement. I like all three but Kerr is the only one remotely affordable for me off the water but close to a public ramp. Maybe take a weeks vacation at all three with the family and then decide. Tough choice. Good Luck

18. Member
    I am going to agree with jrbdad. My mom has a house on Gaston. I love to fish and agree I like as few of people as possible but the women (wife and mom) like to cruise on the pontoon looking at the houses, going to the point to eat, and see people on the lake. The western end of the lake is not as busy so fishing is a little easier the the Eastern end. Also it is only 25 minutes to put in at Kerr for something a little different. I love SML but it is just too far to travel every other weekend. SML is about 4 hours from me and Gaston is 2 hours. Just my 2 cents.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

19. Member
    Thanks Roger. I think we chatted about it before and I recall you saying how much you liked it. I haven't forgotten about that. We should spend some more time down there before we decide.

20. Member
    my dream one day is to have a house on gaston. we go every year for a week now and love it. you can fish early and late with plenty of places to hide during the day. marinas and places to eat only a boat ride away. water never fluctuates more than a foot. you can go to kerr and the old lake within minutes as well. skipping boat docks, drop shooting spots and plenty other species to target on gaston. you will also have an easier time renting I believe. the house we rent is 3 bedroom 2 bath sleeps 6 comfortable boat dock with lift privacy on both sides and its 1800 for the week. i love to fish buggs but I would pick gaston all day and just travel to buggs when the water got in the bushes lol. matter of fact we will be there this week coming up. Cant wait!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast