Thread: Pick a lake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Kerr, hands down. I love all three but if I had to choose one, it would bee Kerr

2. Member
    Buggs! Fished everywhere in the state and a lot of joining areas, it’s still my favorite. I love smith and Gaston, but the traffic to size ratio. Anna is in my back yard and it holds a special place, but there is so much diversity at buggs if you want to make the runs!

3. Member
    I've fished Buggs, gaston and smith mountain for 30 yrs. I still say hyco lake. all of you should give it a try

4. Member
    Thank all, very much. I want to prioritize "less traveled waters" for my own preferences too but I have to somehow balance that with rental potential. If I can find a place on Kerr that has really good chances of renting out, a lot, we'll probably do that. And I think I'll keep my eye out on Gaston. I think Anna and SML might stress me out too much and that would sort of defeat the purpose of going to the lake! We fished Anna yesterday morning, a Friday, in the deluge (caught a few too, amazingly) but before the rain even stopped the wake boats were beginning to hit the water....
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

6. Member
    On Gaston, what might the pros and cons of being on the main lake vs an arm be? Main lake seems better if we want to rent it - people want views and all that. With kids, maybe being up and arm would be better if they want to swim off the dock? Never really gave it much thought.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

7. Joe4d
    Since my other hobby and my wifes are horses, If I was buying,, Id say Kerr, and get something with room for a horse camp and access to the large state park horse trails around Kerr. First choice around Staunton River State park,, second Ocannechee...Problem with Occoneechee legal hunters,,, although if u like hunting would be a good area,, Lots of WMA's around Kerr.

8. Member
    My family has rented houses on Gaston for many years. They always prefer Pea Hill Creek. My Dad hates to rent houses on main lake ( gets too rough at dock for kids ).

What they look for is: enough water at dock for boat/swimming with out issue, not too many stairs to dock. Enough parking (usually two or three vehicles and boat/jet ski trailers). Enough room at dock for boat/jet skies. And of course clean and no safety issue with dock/deck, etc. Those are the things he looks for in a rental.

Hope that helps some.
    Semper Fi

9. Member
    Dumfries, Va./ Kerr-Buggs Island, Boydton Va.
    Kerr would be my choice for one simple reason less boat traffic, I do like Gaston because I love to fish real docks not the floating shit we have here. Same goes for SML and love to fish during the spawn. Boat traffic / fishing pressure is one of the reasons I grew to hate the Potomac after many many years of fishing and living near the river and relocated to just minutes from Kerr. I love it here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12