Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I like it. Just shows they love to fish. They dont always win either.
    I agree...we fish against the Shryocks on occasion. I have known them both for a while but it's always fun to catch up and BS a little. I'd welcome any pro to a local weeknight or weekend event.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    At the end of it all, he is just a Dad that wanted to fish with his son.
    Bingo!!!

3. Member
    That’s Great. Thanks for posting the link Mark

4. Member
    Use to think it was neet competing against some of the touring pros when I tournament fished. Glad he got out and fished the tournament with his son.

5. Member
    I agree with you and that is awesome. I wasnt talking this specific case but rather than the big picture of the sport.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Why?
    I just feel there should be an amateur side of the sport and in the grand scheme of things it takes away chances of guys trying to live the dream and make it big. I know guys that can compete at that level but what they are not is filthy rich to get established enough to be pro. Why should a pro be able to take money out of their pocket with them working a real job too. High school and college fishing is helping with making that dream possible but there wasnt any such thing not long ago.

I dont really feel like a pro showing up to fish a small local event is stopping anyone from living their dream.

8. Member
    I dont really feel like a pro showing up to fish a small local event is stopping anyone from living their dream.
    Lol dont take it that way. Like i said that is big picture of the sport of fishing. Amateur vs pro side and rules and regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabassin14 View Post
    Lol dont take it that way. Like i said that is big picture of the sport of fishing. Amateur vs pro side and rules and regulations
    Yeah...I read that wrong....

10. Member
    Yeah...I read that wrong....
    Its not really what i meant but i get it. I mean do u think u could make a living being a professional fisherman if i gave u unlimited resources and access to anything? Id be willing to bet u could. Theres guys that make a good extra chunk fishing under amateur status all the while paying for every thing they own.

11. Member
    Exactly, they would be welcome on our local team tournies.

But he might not be the only elite pro their either if it’s the right week lol.

12. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    There are lots of guys fishing weekend derbies and taking everyone's money that should be at the next level but we are all easy pickings for them. THOSE are the guys you should want to move on to the next level and not take your donation week in and week out. The occasional pro that fishes a local pot that is never at home and hasn't put in the time you have is probably just making an appearance and enjoying a day of fishing without 100 boats following them around all day. That's how I look at it....

13. Banned
    Used to fish Ts regularly against JVD. I have no problem with him, KVD, or any other pro showing up at a local event. Both the VanDams are enjoyable to be around and generous with their time.

IMHO, I think most of the time KVD fishes a local event he hasn't spent any time practicing at the lake before the event. I think he finds some time in his schedule and his kids or other family members want to fish, so they fish a local event. Every event that I've heard of him fishing locally, he ALWAYS catches 'em, but doesn't necessarily cash a check.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    He was surprised at how many people wear HUK and have the latest electronics and such? How the heck does he think hes been getting paid all these years and why he gets paid to use that stuff. All them guys fishing in that tournament paid for that Z19 with those talons on it for his boys to run.
    According to his son Nicholas he and his brother run an older boat on the GVSU fishing team. This was last October he said this. Maybe the Z-19 is KVD'S incognito boat or maybe it's a borrowed boat, his brother does own a Nitro dealer after all.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Billy View Post
    There are lots of guys fishing weekend derbies and taking everyone's money that should be at the next level but we are all easy pickings for them. THOSE are the guys you should want to move on to the next level and not take your donation week in and week out. The occasional pro that fishes a local pot that is never at home and hasn't put in the time you have is probably just making an appearance and enjoying a day of fishing without 100 boats following them around all day. That's how I look at it....
    Im with you and you are exactly right it works both ways and there are plenty that should carry a pro status but it doesnt matter the way the sport is set now its still the same thing. I dont fish every weekend but just this year i think i have fished against 5 classic winners and probably double that number of guys that have won on tour that i feel have an unfair advantage fishing against the likes of me and u. Maybe im just bitter im working on this 03 model in 95 degree heat idk.

16. Member
    I guess I cant really complain about a guy wanting to fish a tournament with his son.

I don't tournament fish but am curious after reading through some of the comments though. For those who feel its unfair that he be able to fish local events wouldn't the local stick have an even greater advantage. Retired guy living on the lake fishes the same body of water and every event all year long. Wouldn't he be the one who should be told not to attend ??

just my random thoughts.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    I guess I cant really complain about a guy wanting to fish a tournament with his son.

I don't tournament fish but am curious after reading through some of the comments though. For those who feel its unfair that he be able to fish local events wouldn't the local stick have an even greater advantage. Retired guy living on the lake fishes the same body of water and every event all year long. Wouldn't he be the one who should be told not to attend ??

just my random thoughts.
    At this point im just on a dang rant again my apologies about the thread hijack Mark wasnt my intentions. But to answer your question 99.9% of the pros im referring to either live on the lake or are from the area and come in town for a week or two. It isnt like they drive in from 100s of miles show up and fish. They fish that lake mon thru friday.

18. Member
    At this point im just on a dang rant again my apologies about the thread hijack Mark wasnt my intentions. But to answer your question 99.9% of the pros im referring to either live on the lake or are from the area and come in town for a week or two. It isnt like they drive in from 100s of miles show up and fish. They fish that lake mon thru friday.
    Ahhhh yeah I can see your point then. I could see an amateur being irritated if it happened very often. If only occasionally though (1x a year) might be kinda cool just to see how they do against the regular joes.

the only way to make yourself better is to compete with a higher level
    I would love to fish a tournament with my dad just once more.
    he even says he didn't get in the money so guess he doesn't win all the time so whats the big issue. I think its great that he went to a local level to compete the ones he was fishing against were prob on cloud nine to win a T vs the likes of the KVD I know I would have been

20. Member
    I just feel there should be an amateur side of the sport and in the grand scheme of things it takes away chances of guys trying to live the dream and make it big. I know guys that can compete at that level but what they are not is filthy rich to get established enough to be pro. Why should a pro be able to take money out of their pocket with them working a real job too. High school and college fishing is helping with making that dream possible but there wasnt any such thing not long ago.
    There are amateur and pro sides though on larger tournies. If you are trying to make it big, this should be where you are concentrating your efforts, not on local cookie jar tournies. You won’t “make it big” there.

And any pro, that takes time off their busy schedule to show up on a home lake and fish with a friend or kid etc, is at a huge disadvantage to those fishing it day in and day out that have the time on the water to know what the fish are doing.

You should be ready on tourney day, and they are basically on day one of practice.

My take on it anyway

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast