1989 XP150 starved for fuel

Just took the Champ out yesterday for the first time this year. Had an issue getting up on plane, seemed sluggish getting out of the hole. Then ran fine. LAter in the day I made a run to a second spot at WOT running at 50, about 2-3 mph slow. As the day went on I couldn't get over 44 mph, when I pushed in the choke it would pick up a little power and another 1-2 mph. I noticed both the tach and trim indicator were not working. Any trouble-shooting suggestions from our Evinrude Gurus is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    1989 Champion 184 DCR / 1989 Evinrude 150XP

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Trim is a separate harness and should have nothing to do with the tach circuit. The tach is driven off the stator by way of the Voltage regulator. You can check the signal by connecting your meter to the terminal strip on the right side of the motor just ahead of the Power Pack. I'd take a fuel sample and see if you have any phase separation. That's easy to check, just dump some fuel into a clear container and wait a few minutes.

Thanks, I will check out the fuel, I plan on changing the fuel filter also before digging deeper.

I found signs of the dreaded black ooze starting to drip from under the flywheel. I'm shopping for a stator right now.

Update: I pulled the flywheel and discovered a hole burned thru the top of the voltage regulator. Not only that but the 12v wire coming from the starter solenoid was burned up, luckily it didn't catch anything else on fire. I replaced both the stator and regulator and now the engine starts right up, runs smooth, but I still have the same acceleration symptoms. After checking further I notice the spark advance lever is stuck and does not move when the throttle os opened. After doing some other online investigations I found this is a common issue when the stator melts, you have to clean the tar from all surfaces when replacing the staor. I'm going to pull the stator tomorrow, hoping its just stuck and not melted.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't get excited when you pull the timer base off and see the hold down ring is split that's normal it compresses when it goes into the pocket.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Here is a properly adjusted throttle linkage.

Hey ChampioMman, Update: I have replaced the stator and the rectifier. The new OMC rectifier original part#0395204 has one less wire coming from it, the new unit doesn't have the purple wire like the rectifier I took off had. Any idea if this is an update and is no longer required or used, or if I have the wrong part? My motor is a 1989 150hp model#E150STLCEM.

Overall, the spark advance works freely, I am able to get up out of the hole okay with an empty livewell and half full gas tank, struggles with a full tournament load. Top speed is still only 44mph and will increase 1-2 mph if I hold the choke in, top RPMs are still at about 5200, normal has always been 5500-5600. Other than that the motor starts better than ever and runs smoother than before.

I have also replaced the primer bulb, fuel filter, and throttle roller. I have purchased a can of Evinrude tune-up and will do an application this weekend. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The new ones eliminate the purple wire.