Question Ranger Trail bunk replacement

Hello,
    My trailer needs new bunks, hardwear and carpet
    There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there on this subject so hopefully someone who has done this can give me some solid advice
    *currently the brackets are rusted, some of the bolts have rusted through and have come undone, some of the bolts are through the carpet and the carpet is ripped in some places. The rusted bolts are making contact with the hull.The boat “sticks” to the carpet/bunks, and does not want to come off without a fight.This needs to get fixed asap

The boat is a Ranger 482vs
    What wood should I use?
    Where do you get the hard wear ( Brackets and bolts) ?
    What carpet should I use?
    How much does this job cost

Thank you, any help is appreciated!

2. Member
    I will comment on the brackets. Ranger parts sells them including the hardware. Some of mine were so bad they rusted away and disintegrated. If doing the job yourself be prepared to bring the whole toolbox as you will likely be chiseling and wedging screwdrivers to get leverage on the decaying hardware.
    I don't believe there is "special" carpet or wood. I used pressure treated and boat carpet, but many will try to sell you on the composite gatorback products. Never tried them as they are out of my price range but many like them. May be worth researching.
    Call Ranger direct with your serial numbers and they will have most of the answers.
    best of luck

3. Member
    Thanks, great tip about bringing tools to remove the old brackets and bolts!

4. Member
    that happened to mine too. I went to west marine and got glavanized ones have not seen a speck of rust in 7 years. as for bunks just call ranger and order them. I used some galvanized lag bolts to fasten them the brackets. just make sure your lag bolts DO NOT go all the way through the bunk.

5. Member
    Just have your Hull ID number and a picture of your carpet color and you can call Ranger and get the bunks, brackets (which are now galvanized) and all the mounting hardware, they send lag bolts now instead of counter sinking the carriage bolts.

6. Member
    I just re did mine and rather than spend so much on so called bunk carpet, I went to Lowes and got the indoor outdoor for all 4 bunks for around 12 dollars.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxRanger1 View Post
    I just re did mine and rather than spend so much on so called bunk carpet, I went to Lowes and got the indoor outdoor for all 4 bunks for around 12 dollars.
    How well will it hold up? I would like to not have to do it again in a couple years

8. Member
    call ranger and get the bolts and brackets around $50.00,double the carpet on the top,get a air stapler with stainless staples,spray glue the top piece of carpet down,get a good thick marine carpet and treated wood,several good (several good videos on youtube) or call ranger with trailer serial number and get it all ready to bolt on ,i am guessing around 300.00 with shipping

9. mikesxpress
    Junked the steel brackets and had stainless steel brackets made.

Lighted Gatorbak bunk covers vs the nasty blister causing carpet.

10. Member
    This is my story. Last summer I replaced my carpet and bunks on my 03 185 VS. Couldn’t afford Gator Baks. I found small blisters when I removed the bunks but the bunks were in perfect shape. I went and bought 20 oz carpet and new 2 x 6 boards. After about a month I realized that carpet would never dry out too because I fish 2-3 times a week. I decided to buy 16 oz and and reuse original boards after I waterproofed them with 3 coats of the product. When I took the new ones off I bet they weighed 50 lbs. When it comes to the trailer bunks, I don’t think thicker carpet is better after my experience. The 16 oz is still good after a year, I never power load at the ramp.

if ordering from ranger parts make sure you get the bolt kit. a ew PT boards and give ranger parts your vin # and hey will tell you how many feet of carpet you need to order.