Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

Paint missing directly in center of aluminum prop blades...mean anything?

I have been reading a lot about props since I got my little aluminum Triton this month. I want to go SS but just don’t want to make an expensive mistake. In reading one of the stickies here on props it said that ventilation problems can “burn” a prop.

My 90 Etec has a 13.25 by 17 aluminum prop. The only paint missing on this prop (I swear the previous owner never hit a weed in 122 hours) is directly through the center of the thrust side of the blade. All 3 blades look the exact same, almost like a Nike swoosh through the center of each blade. There might be a tiny bit of texture in this exposed area as well.

The sticky made made it sound like the water is boiling the paint off of this area....?

I am admittedly ignorant to props but attempting to learn before I buy...anyone have clues what this means? I will take pictures today.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

2. Member
    Cavitation burn. Pressure areas are formed as the water accelerates around and moves past the prop. As the prop moves faster, it creates a lower pressure around it. As it reaches vapor pressure, the water vaporizes and forms small bubbles of gas. When the bubbles collapse, they typically cause very strong local shockwaves in the water, which may be audible and may even damage the blades particularly on an aluminum prop.

3. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That was my understanding as well, though not nearly as clearly stated as you have!

That begs the question....does this mean the boat is propped incorrectly or being driven incorrectly? Too much trim? Crappy design?

The prop is a 13.25”, 17p, mounted on the 2nd hole, and the boat runs well. I don’t have enough time with it to determine if I need to change the pitch but I will at the end of the month when I am going on a Friday-Tuesday trip to the Harris Chain. Anything I can do to troubleshoot while I’m on the water or is this just something happens with aluminum props?

Thanks for for the information!
    Last edited by Casslaw; 06-18-2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spelling!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV