Pulling wires easier

So I spent the weekend re-rigging all my Lowrance graphs as I'm replacing with Birds. I usually tie/tape some paracord to the wires and bring it through to pull the new wiring but didn't have any. Looked around the garage and had a big roll of the nylon monofilament for a weed wacker. Stuff works great and is bright orange to boot.

On another note, whoever installed the graphs on this boat was a hack. What an absolute clusterf$!ck. The guy I bought it from said his dealer did everything, if he did he should be embarrassed.

2. Member
    I used composit fish rods. They are extremely flexible and can be assembled (screwed together) as you push them through till you are at the appropriate length. Was super easy laying pull cables for future work
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

Another hint I used was to pour baby powder on all the cables before pulling them. Make sure your wife knows about it before she smells you coming in the house smelling that way though! Could lead to some raised eyebrows if you dont tell her what you have been up to!
    Vexus DVX19

4. Member
    [QUOTE=willwork4fish;9440850....................... ..................................
    On another note, whoever installed the graphs on this boat was a hack. What an absolute clusterf$!ck. The guy I bought it from said his dealer did everything, if he did he should be embarrassed.[/QUOTE]

I hate to break this to you but many "Dealers" have one or two good boat mechanics and hire a high school dropout wanna-be to do stuff like install depth finders and pack trailer bearings. I fish with a guy who has had to call a tow truck twice to put his boat and trailer on a rollback after paying the SAME company to pack his bearings. Once the wheel fell off when he launched, the last time the bearings were gone ( like no longer there) when he got to the ramp. This was after they changed the axle. I bought a boat with a Dealer installed hotfoot with a screw right through the hull.
    There are some hacks out there but they aren't shy when handing out a $100 an hour bill.

5. Member
    I use fiberglass rods that cable installers use. You can buy a cheap set at Harbor Freight.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

Like stated above.. Most shops have the lowest person on the payroll rigging new boats... When there not sweeping the floor or cleaning the bath room.
    Another reason I have always rigged my own boats.

7. Member
    I've only bought 1 boat new, that was a 2004 Sabre that was rigged by Sherm from Sherm's marine and that one was done right. Every other boat besides the one I have right now has been an older one ('85 Skeeter, '96 Skeeter, '95 Champion, '96 Eyra) that needed a lot of work. First thing I did to every one of them was pretty much pull everything out, empty the rigging compartments, clean everything, new pumps, switches that needed replacing, label everything and clean up all the crappy electrical connections, put it a new buss box usually, replace the tm and graphs, etc.. I expected there to be some issues given the age of those boats and how many people have done some quick/shoddy rigging. I guess I just expected more out of this one since it's a 2007.

All of the old sh!t is pulled out now just waiting on a couple of things for the new graphs and while I had everything out of the rigging compartment ordered some new aluminum battery trays and cleaned up all of the wiring in there.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Like stated above.. Most shops have the lowest person on the payroll rigging new boats... When there not sweeping the floor or cleaning the bath room.
    Yep. I turn down free rigging to do it myself. My dad just bought all new electronics and was taking his boat to the dealer to install. I talked him out of it and am not going to burn some vacation time next week to drive down there and set him up correctly.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but then guys will purchase these large items from someone they never met, who may have been flipping burgers at McDonalds the week before, and are only interested in taking your order having no clue what a ethernet connection, HDI, SI, etc. means. If people will purchase something like this, from someone like that, then why should they care how it is installed.
    Installation depends on the type of shop. Me and my wife run this fruitstand with no help. I do the rigging, repairing, etc., she keeps the books, phones, and shipouts. I can assure you my installation is professionally done by someone that knows how to run and tie wires/connections and can set up a depthfinder/gps.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

John -- Wasn't referring to shops like yours that make there living selling and installing.. I've found your type of shops to be knowledgeable and reliable-- who know what needs to be done and most of all how to do it !!!.
    That comment was about MY dealings with "most' new boat dealers. If they have a certified motor mechanic on the pay roll and a minimum wage helper. Guess who will be standing on there head in the bilge area or crawling up under the console.