Thread: Ping sequence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ping sequence

In another thread there is mention of ping sequence with SI/DI/2D and whether jigging mode is on or off.
    I'm curious how ping sequence comes into play when you share a 2D transducer.
    Specifically, when my Helix G2N sonar GPS shares 2D with itself and 2 other Helix G2N (chirp on) units.
    Does each unit (all 3) command a separate ping for its own use separately, or does the Helix sonar GPS ping at a constant rate and simply share the data with the other units?

Just a little curious about the inner workings.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

Jigging mode is a feature with Side Imaging units in the number series and Helix models.

When you share the 2D source, the control of the 2D pinging comes from the unit the transducer is connected to. You chose the unit, not the transducer in the Network menu.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Jigging mode is a feature with Side Imaging units in the number series and Helix models.

When you share the 2D source, the control of the 2D pinging comes from the unit the transducer is connected to. You chose the unit, not the transducer in the Network menu.
    Does the 2D unit ping more often when more units are sharing from it?
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]

Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    Does the 2D unit ping more often when more units are sharing from it?
    No .... the 2D is just shared. Rickie noted in one of his posts that 83 Khz was always on with a networked unit .... I don't really understand why they would do that but maybe Rickie will check in a share some insight into this.
    That is the only difference in the ping sequence that I can think of ... and it seems it doesn't even matter if the 2D is being shared ... only that it is networked.

As Wayne mentioned having jigging mode turned on on the unit that has the 2D transducer connected is what will affect the ping sequence.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

5. Member
    “Rickie noted in one of his posts that 83 Khz was always on with a networked unit .... I don't really understand why they would do that but maybe Rickie will check in a share some insight into this.”

First I have heard this. Would like to know more.

6. Member
    I'm really just trying to figure out why when I use my Helix 10 G2N GPS(XNT 9 20 T) as a 2D source for all 3 units, my 360 has horrible interference from it, small spokes to large wavy hurricane looking lines at random. Turn the Helix GPS unit to Sonar OFF and the 360 screen clears right up and stays good.
    When I use 2D from the transom SI transducer from my Helix 10 G2N SI(XM 9 20 MSI) for all 3 units, 360 is crystal clear.
    My next troubleshooting attempt will be to Y cable the XNT 9 20 T with the XM 9 20 MSI and see how 2D behaves with the 360.

I like having on-plane depth and it's a bit of a hassle switching 2D all the time when I want clear 360 views.

If you are pinging 2D and trying to use 360 at the same time you will get interference. The units have an auto-disable mode that will turn off 2D pinging when running 360 just for this reason.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    If you are pinging 2D and trying to use 360 at the same time you will get interference. The units have an auto-disable mode that will turn off 2D pinging when running 360 just for this reason.
    If you are pinging 455 kHz 2D sonar with a Down Imaging unit, you will get cross-talk since the 360 uses 455 kHz.

Auto disable turns off Side Imaging and Down Imaging, not 2D sonar.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks Wayne - I realize auto-disable kills all SI/DI but thought it was 2D as well but as usual you are correct! I was thinking that 2D was disabled also because of the fact that 2D chart speed slows to a crawl with 360 pinging is on. I did talk with HB about the 2D/360 issue, which has been discussed at length in other threads, and they confirmed that two cannot run together without problems even though they are different frequencies - no fix for this yet.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    “Rickie noted in one of his posts that 83 Khz was always on with a networked unit .... I don't really understand why they would do that but maybe Rickie will check in a share some insight into this.”

First I have heard this. Would like to know more.
    Jim, Rickie posted this info a couple of years ago after Jigging Mode was added to the SI units in an attempt to improve 2D and pixilation problems. My guess for the reason 83khz always pinging in a network is because of the split view. Since the primary unit (with transducer) controls the pinging, units sharing that would not be able to use 2D split view. Haven't tested that guess yet so just a guess...LOL Here's prior post:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ht=depth+83khz
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

11. Member
    Good grief Wes. OK, mine is networked and set on 83/200, so I see both Fish IDs on the screen. Yellow (200) and Blue (83). I change the setting to 200 and all I see are the Yellow Fish IDs. So, if it is still pinging the 83 frequency why aren’t the Blue Fish IDs showing up? I’m assuming there are plenty of fish below the boat within the coverage area of both frequencies.

Good grief Wes. OK, mine is networked and set on 83/200, so I see both Fish IDs on the screen. Yellow (200) and Blue (83). I change the setting to 200 and all I see are the Yellow Fish IDs. So, if it is still pinging the 83 frequency why aren’t the Blue Fish IDs showing up? I’m assuming there are plenty of fish below the boat within the coverage area of both frequencies.
    It's a mystery to me .... but the info came from Deborah Benson and you can pretty much take it to the bank if she posted it.

When you choose the 2D frequency, you are choosing what to VIEW on that non-networked unit. 83 kHz is turned off on a single unit installation for a single 2D view.
    As Deborah stated, if you choose the split sonar view, both frequencies ping since you have selected to view both frequencies.

If you don't think 83 kHz is ever turned off, run your unit in Simulator and look at the split sonar view.

If you have a SOLIX or ONIX select the 2D view, go to the view menu and choose Medium or 83 kHz.

When the Simulator recording was done, 83 kHz was turned off.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Maybe he didn't have his unit networked when he reocrded the simulator .... or maybe then things operated differently?

15. Member
    Deb did not explain why 83kHz is transmitting in a network ...

I would offer (look out -> opinion here) so that the network unit (without the xducer attached) has access to the 83kHz data without having to physically turn on the 83kHz in the unit that the xducer is attached to ...

Rickie

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    Maybe he didn't have his unit networked when he reocrded the simulator .... or maybe then things operated differently?
    Wasn't the Simulator recording created way back in Interlink days ... before Ethernet Sonar sharing was released ...??

Rickie

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    Wasn't the Simulator recording created way back in Interlink days ... before Ethernet Sonar sharing was released ...??

Rickie
    The Simulator recording is different with the XX8 models. They have the house foundation and swimming pool. Both 83 and 200 kHz work.

I had already suggested they re-do the Simulator recording with both frequencies turned on so practicing with the unit has all functions.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 06-20-2018 at 05:01 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    I have two 998 units networked via ethernet. Both units have the same latest updates. At first I had only one 998 on my boat. When I ran 200 by itself the image was very clear. When I ran 83/200 combo or 83 only I experienced a minor form of “interference”. Vertical lines on the screen that I referred to as “stuttering”. Change the setting back to 200 and the stuttering disappeared.

Then I bought another 998 and an ethernet cable and networked the two of them. Don’t recall which version of software I was running (6.49?) but it was the one that many referred to as the “safe” version that some (including me) would revert back to on occasion and risk bricking their unit because they didn’t like the newer updates.

I will check the next time out to see if this stuttering is present on 200 only with Jigging mode on and with it off. If 83 is pinging all the time while networked then that stuttering should be present. I’m not sure how HB could turn off 83 kHz from being viewed on the screen while it’s still pinging.

I have two 998 units networked via ethernet. Both units have the same latest updates. At first I had only one 998 on my boat. When I ran 200 by itself the image was very clear. When I ran 83/200 combo or 83 only I experienced a minor form of “interference”. Vertical lines on the screen that I referred to as “stuttering”. Change the setting back to 200 and the stuttering disappeared.

Then I bought another 998 and an ethernet cable and networked the two of them. Don’t recall which version of software I was running (6.49?) but it was the one that many referred to as the “safe” version that some (including me) would revert back to on occasion and risk bricking their unit because they didn’t like the newer updates.

I will check the next time out to see if this stuttering is present on 200 only with Jigging mode on and with it off. If 83 is pinging all the time while networked then that stuttering should be present. I’m not sure how HB could turn off 83 kHz from being viewed on the screen while it’s still pinging.
    The software version prior to the 360 update was the one that most down-dated to. That was 6.490. 6.570 was the beginning of the 83 kHz glitch (double pixeling). Actually could go back to 5.400 if the unit came with that or higher.

Jigging mode does not affect the ping sequence if 83 kHz is not turned on, just changes the ping sequence when 83 kHz is used.

One thing you can see is the different scroll speeds using just 200 kHz or 83/200 kHz with a single unit.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 06-20-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The software version prior to the 360 update was the one that most down-dated to. That was 6.490. 6.570 was the beginning of the 83 kHz glitch (double pixeling). Actually could go back to 5.400 if the unit came with that or higher.

Jigging mode does not affect the ping sequence if 83 kHz is not turned on, just changes the ping sequence when 83 kHz is used.

One thing you can see is the different scroll speeds using just 200 kHz or 83/200 kHz with a single unit.
    Jigging mode not change the ping sequence when only running 200khz in the core and both gen 1 and gen 2 mega helix units?
    Triton 20X,2022 225 pro xs four stroke,
    Mega 360-helix G4N Di-helix 10,helix 10 G2N SI, Solix 10 G3N, mega live

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast