2000 R83 VS fuel gauge not working

Just looking for ideas on what to check. I took the seat off the other day to make sure an electrical connection hadn't broken, come off, or gotten pinched. Everything looks good. The only odd thing I found was that there were two wires connected (one positive and one ground, I'm assuming), but one of the small bolts on the metal top had a spade connector on it, but nothing attached to it. I couldn't find a third wire anywhere, so I'm figuring there's no need for that connector. I cleaned the connections and took the top off to make sure the float hadn't come off or anything, and it appears to be fine as well. I got up under the console and checked to make sure the connections to the gauge were solid and they seem to be. Just wondering what else to check. Thanks for any help!

I'm wondering if it could be the sending unit in the tank. I have replaced one on the Ranger before my R91

3. Member
    larryhyco, do you know how you can test that unit to see if it's bad?

4. Member
    is the breaker on the driver side of your boat flipped on?

ask me how i know.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

5. Member
    i think there is only 3 wires on the gauge - pink, black and purple. make sure they are all there.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

If I remember correct, if you ground the wire to the sending unit, it should peg the gauge, meaning the gauge works.

7. Member
    Thanks for the help. I do believe there are three wires on the gauge and they are all there and solidly connected. I will probably have to take the seat back off and check the sending unit. I'll have to check the breaker as well. I know I normally have it on whenever I'm on the water, but I do switch it off as soon as I pull the boat out.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    If I remember correct, if you ground the wire to the sending unit, it should peg the gauge, meaning the gauge works.
    I would take it out of the tank and olm it out

9. Member
    My gauge only works with the ignition in 'on' position.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC