Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Hagen
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I remember as a kid the level of service waiters and waitresses used to provide, and my parents and grandparents tipped accordingly to the level of service.

In today's world it's like the waitstaff just doesn't care, or they try to get by with as little effort as possible. I would speculate that the ones saying "millennials don't tip well" are probably millennials themselves doing as little as possible and checking their stupid phone every chance they get. Their blame is misplaced...they should be blaming themselves for providing bad service.
    got that right!
    Want to buy old river2sea bully wa frogs.

I don't think you can assume that all millenial wait staff are poor at their jobs. Same as any age; there are both good and bad in any occupation.

We went to the Outback in the Outer Banks in May and my wife ordered a drink that they've had for some time and the waiter said they didn't have it. I asked if the bartender would know how to make it, he said no without even checking, etc.

We were in there a few days later and had a young waitress; we asked about the drink and she said they had it but didn't have graham crackers crumbs for the rim of the glass (it's a key lime martini) so my wife said no problem, I'll take it without. Few minutes later the drink arrives with the crumbs on the rim. Turns out she had someone go to the Food Lion next door and get craham crackers and she crushed them up.
    She got a good tip, the waiter didn't.

3. Member
    My son is and has been a waiter at Red Lobster for several years while attending school.

This RL is in an upscale town and area, but still the stories he tells are amazing; people running out on their bill, faking sickness and injury to get out of paying, eating 3/4 or more of their meal and then complaining to get the meal taken off their bill, planting foreign object or insects in their food to get for free are just some of the things that happen on a regular basis.

When I saw this thread I asked him about Millennial's and their tipping practices. His response was, some tip well, some don't just like all age groups. They are no worse than any other group. He then followed up by saying, their is a huge difference in tipping practices among the different races. I'd love to go into detail, but I'm not going down that road.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    “Mandatory/expected” tipping is one of the stupidest ideas ever! Charge what you’re worth and let capitalism do it’s thing
    Kinda agree, usually tip well, but getting to the point that it is time to just charge a price and be done with it...don't tip doctors, plumbers, mechanics etc, so why tip someone to throw a burger and coke on the counter.....

i use to wait tables and bartend 20 years ago, when you expected to be tipped bad u usually got tipped bad. Ran into all sorts, but its kinda like the etiquette posts on many fishing forums, a few ruins it for others. Most tipped well, and a few tipped very well. If I got tipped bad, i tried to figure out what it is I did wrong.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    https://www.democratandchronicle.com...now/419623002/

It appears that the industry as a whole prefer a tip wage vs a minimum wage. That tells me servers still earn more in tips.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja 252 View Post
    He then followed up by saying, their is a huge difference in tipping practices among the different races. I'd love to go into detail, but I'm not going down that road.
    Ive heard the same thing also many times.

8. Member
    My GF's daughter was a waitress, started at a pizza place then worked up to a high scale restaurant, ended up as senior server and closing the place at night. Then she ran a bar, sometimes making $400+ a night.
    After a year or two at the bar, she decided to do something more with her life and quit and went to work at an investment firm with only a sketchy high school education.
    She got married, is raising a husband and baby boy now and has some college, passed her state boards and is a licensed financial advisor.

Every time we (her mom and I ) go out to eat the tip is always 20% because of her daughter's serving history and the horror tales she used to tell us. If the food is an hour late, wrong order or on fire we still tip 20%.

Anyhow, we're pretty old, and servers WANT to serve us. Like her daughter said, older people are the best tippers.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Personally, I always make sure I bring CASH to the restaurant for my tip and I always 20% or more.
    This is good advice depending on how strict the restaurant is on reporting tips for tax purposes.

My niece waits tables last few years at the local Mexican Restraunt in the summer. She complains all the time that the Sunday crowds, group of younger women/girls, and like Baja 252 said, any different race are the worst tippers. She says the younger guys tip very well but the girls don't. She claims the middle age blue collar workers are the best tippers.

11. Member
    I tip but irks me when a waiter sets my food in front of me with an arm full of tats. I just think they are gross. I hate to think they spend my money on tats and nose piercings. I wait a few months before going back, i figure they will be gone by then.

Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    I tip but irks me when a waiter sets my food in front of me with an arm full of tats. I just think they are gross. I hate to think they spend my money on tats and nose piercings. I wait a few months before going back, i figure they will be gone by then.
    Was this at Chipotle?

13. Member
    I know the garbage men were pretty happy today when I gave them each a cold Gatorade....hot and humid. Will say they didn't treat my trash can much better despite my generosity!

Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    I'm a millennial. I only tip a percentage on higher bills. I almost never leave a tip under $5, even if the bill is $7, almost regardless of service.
    Your food and drink gets spit in regularly. Enjoy!

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja 252 View Post
    My son is and has been a waiter at Red Lobster for several years while attending school.

This RL is in an upscale town and area, but still the stories he tells are amazing
    Red Lobster isn't what it used to be. I remember as a kid you dressed nicely to go eat there.......now it's not uncommon to see tank tops and dirty old t-shirts being worn in there. Red Lobster attracts trash now for some reason no matter the location, maybe the "free" cheese rolls has something to do with it? I definitely avoid that place now.

Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    You should never call 911 then.

Besides once you order and pay it's not your money anymore.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    I've washed my own vehicle my entire life. Occasionally I will go to one of those touch less deals on the road, should I tip the kiosk?
    There was an x files episode where the kiosks and robots went after them for not tipping lol

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Your food and drink gets spit in regularly. Enjoy!
    Getting old dean? You read that wrong hahaha

he said the minimum he tips is 5 bucks even if the bill is only 7, and starts using the percentage when the bill is higher(and would make more sense) as a 20% tip on a 7.00 bill is a lot lower than 5.00

i do the same, I sit in a seat in an airport traveling and take up a table and only order a coffee, I’m not tipping 20%, I’ll throw down a 5 for taking up there table for 20 minutes.

I’m sure you’ve done the same.

19. Member
    [QUOTE=Bub;9441151] restaurant for 18 years and where she used to receive an average paycheck each week of $25-$50, due to the new legislation she now receives a $0 paycheck most weeks, even after that huge raise she received (from $2.xx per hour up to about $6.xx per hour).

None of this makes sense. Why in the world would somebody work a job for 18 years making $50 a week? And now still works there for free?

20. Member
    [QUOTE=adam_p;9441971]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    restaurant for 18 years and where she used to receive an average paycheck each week of $25-$50, due to the new legislation she now receives a $0 paycheck most weeks, even after that huge raise she received (from $2.xx per hour up to about $6.xx per hour).

None of this makes sense. Why in the world would somebody work a job for 18 years making $50 a week? And now still works there for free?
    She makes her money on tips, could be 5 bucks a week or 500 bucks a week.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast