201 riding awful

I had a co angler complain about the ride in my 201 his weekend. Said it was the worst ride he had had and his ‘79 Skeeter would ride better than mine.
    I did not have the heart to tell him that if he wasn’t 400lbs and making the port side of the boat ride 8-12” low, it might not have beat him up so much. Literally loosened most of the port side rub rail screws in two days.
    Between his weight and the normal low speed lean, it was awful. Could not do anything to make it ride better. Had this boat since 2007 and never had a rough water issue. But trying to drive with it tilted about 25deg was almost impossible!!!

If you're running a jackplate, check if the motor is lower on one side than the other. Most of the "infamous-so called Stratos lean" is the motor is not level. Mine did it until I perfectly straightened the motor. Believe me it doesn't take much. Straightened mine with a laser. If you think it is straight by just looking at it, you're wrong.

3. Member
    I’ve had this boat forever. I’ve already fixed the lean and the miss mounted engine. Very seldom do I get a lean except on 20-30 mph very slow rides. Will making backplate and engine adjustments make the boat ride level with 400lb on one side and keep them from complaining about it? Lol.
    Was more of a gripe about someone complaining and being the problem than an actual boat issue.

4. Member
    After he dogged your ride for one day you let him in your boat the 2nd day? Hmmmmm not me, He woulda been fishin day 2 outa that '79 Skeeter
    And sorry for your bad weekend.

5. Member
    if you show up day 2 with 400 pounds of weight and he ask what the weights are for you tell him your fixing to fix the problem of why ya boat rides so rough lol he should get the hint! lol
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    I’ve had this boat forever. I’ve already fixed the lean and the miss mounted engine. Very seldom do I get a lean except on 20-30 mph very slow rides. Will making backplate and engine adjustments make the boat ride level with 400lb on one side and keep them from complaining about it? Lol.
    Was more of a gripe about someone complaining and being the problem than an actual boat issue.
    Thought you had a lean & he was making it worse. Wow, 400 pounds......that would have scared me just seeing him coming to my boat, lol. I think you would have to do a lot of adjustment to fix that.

7. Member
    big guys like that scare me!! worry about my rear seat holding the weight and the lids also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

They all lean with a partner like that unless you weigh 400 too. I cringe when I draw someone like that knowing that it is going to be harder to get around. I have never had anyone complain though. He should have been fishing out of his own boat anyway instead of handicapping someone else. JMHO
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    If you're running a jackplate, check if the motor is lower on one side than the other. Most of the "infamous-so called Stratos lean" is the motor is not level. Mine did it until I perfectly straightened the motor. Believe me it doesn't take much. Straightened mine with a laser. If you think it is straight by just looking at it, you're wrong.
    You put a laser from the front of the boat to the center of the prop? can you explain how you did that in detail? I'm trying to fix my lean
    Nitro z20 2021 with 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke serial # 3B010400

10. Member
    I just measured mine from a point on the rear of a strake on each side, to the rear point of the skeg.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtTricks View Post
    You put a laser from the front of the boat to the center of the prop? can you explain how you did that in detail? I'm trying to fix my lean
    Answered your PM......BTW, didn't put the laser at the front of the boat. Mine was at the rear & triangulated to the rear of the hull. There are several ways to align the motor & don't know if one is better than the other. I can say this without any doubt.....If you have "the lean", just take your boat to the lake and make 1/4' adjustments to the jackplate til it runs true. Very few manufacturers perfectly align the motor or the jackplate to the boat. I only know of two that does it. And very few guys that add a jackplate ever check to see if it aligned as it should be. They just take it as the holes are where they should be since it was from the manufacturer that way. And we all know manufacturers don't make mistakes, right? LOL. In Summary, there is no such animal as the " Stratos Lean", The motor is just not perpendicular to the boat. Correct that & the lean disappears. It's magic.

12. Member
    400lb dude is not coming in my boat... that's asking for deck/seat damage

Quote Originally Posted by BassinB View Post
    400lb dude is not coming in my boat... that's asking for deck/seat damage
    Ain't that the truth..........

14. Member
    How do you possibly say, “you are not fishing out of my boat”, in a pro-am format? Never even met the guy until the morning of the tourney.

15. Banned
    Dude I can relate to you. I Drew a big guy out in a BFL years ago and I swear my boat rode like it was on a wash board. Every wave was horrible. Worst boat ride I have ever had and it was because of his big a$$ leaning my boat. He said the same thing at the end of the day. I just laughed and told him to buy his own boat and he could drive it the way he wanted. He never gave me any money for gas either.

Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    How do you possibly say, “you are not fishing out of my boat”, in a pro-am format? Never even met the guy until the morning of the tourney.
    There isn't really....one of the drawbacks of a draw tournament. They are some winners out there, huge & otherwise. A lot of them look at it as a cheap guide trip. Where else can you go & fish for a full day, out of a nice bass boat, & throw the owner $40-$50 bucks ( if you have a big spender) & act like they are doing you a favor. Of course some will argue that they had to pay an entry fee also. Still a good deal for a no boater though, IMHO. And if he's a good fisherman, it won't cost him anything.

17. Member
    $40-50 bucks? Hahahahahaha.
    Never see over $30 from the big spenders

Yea, I know it used to be around $20 but thought it may have gone up over the years. Gotta say, that's a cheap fishing trip.

19. Member
    should have made him lay across the back deck to balance everything out. maybe if he put is lunch on your side of the boat it would have helped.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums