Replacing tilt/trim motor 98 200EFI

Join DateMar 2010LocationSimpson, LAPosts213

Replacing tilt/ trim motor

I’ve got to replace the tilt/trim motor on a 1998 200EFI. The way it’s monted on the jack plate I can’t get to the bolts and screws to remove them. Should I unmount the whole motor from the boat to get to the bolts or can I just remove the tilt/trim assembly from the motor? Jut seeking the best way to tackle this project.

thanks
    Jeremy

2. Member
    You don't need to remove the motor from the boat or remove the tilt trim. Unbolt the mounting bracket on that side from the jack plate and the trim,loosen the tilt tube nut and steering assy far enough so you can swing the mounting bracket up and out of the way to easily get the motor screws out. Outboard must be up and secured on the kick stand. I have a small screw jack that I put between the bottom of the jack plate to the tilt tube to hold the motor in place with mounting bracket unbolted.Your setup might be different but the motor must be secured sufficiently to get all the mounting bolts back in and not too much stress put on the other bracket. Takes me about 45 minutes but I've done it a few times.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor