Thread: Jury Duty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My municipality got in a lot of trouble because they were not selecting candidates randomly but just using solid old white retired folk, and when solid children are in court being judged by there "peers" wonder how long it took for someone to notice... I work in a office of 20 busy people and we won't do any jury duty till 3-4 of us have it in two days, that's eppicly annoying! But I never get chose as we all know the defendants, small town
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

2. Member
    I have been called in one time and didn't get picked. There was some people with legit reasons to be sent home and the judge let them go and some of them I'm not sure I would want deciding my fate. My brother got picked for something Federal and has to report once a week for several months which is a pain not to mention the 70mile plus roundtrip drive.

3. Member
    I'm 75. They don't stop to pee every two hours. I don't go.

4. Member
    Done it a number of times. Enjoyed it. My work pays the difference.
    If you get picked and go into deliberate ALWAYS ask for ALL the files right off the bat. They make deals where you will not get all of them unless you ask... That is the part I don't like, the games that get played so you don't get all the information you need to make a judgement.

Been called many times. Always show up and then get excluded. Must be the way I answer the questions on the form.

P01135809

6. Member
    Worst week of my life and biggest waist of my time.

7. Banned
    My wife served twice, I think. I don't know that I'm actually exempt but when my medical situation was discussed, was never recalled in NJ. Don't know if the situation will remain the same in my new location.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chefdave View Post
    Sucks!
    have to go tomorrow

9. Member
    I was the foreman last time I was called. Sent the perp down the river to the pokey.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Jordan View Post
    I have gotten noticed over the last few years and never had to go. I got to serve on a jury in college and it was a pretty fun time. My great-grandpa was also on the jury with me.
    The case in a nut shell was a cute young girl (That it I knew.) ran into the back of a guy and "injured him" The girl had a real lawyer and the guy had what I surmised was a first year ambulance chaser. The girls lawyer was wiping the floor with the other guy most of the trial then... as the poor victim was being questioned by his lawyer...

Mr. victim what did you do when your were injured and out of work? ... I played basketball..... We gave him $1 for his trouble.
    You should have been excused immediately by knowing the girl

11. Member
    Just read about some of the systems in other countries and be glad....LOL Some excuses are allowed but lying isn't one of them...LOL

12. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Posted this the last time I was summoned (October, 2017)...

Had jury duty this morning. Wasn't chosen to serve today, but am 'on call' through Friday.

Some numbers, just for gits & shiggles:

- Of 197 names called, 72 were present.
    - 3 of the 72 were exempted by virtue of age (65+)
    - 29 of the remaining 69 requested "hardship" excusals; 22 of those requests were granted.
    - Of the 47 remaining, 9 more folks were excused following questioning.

That left a total of 38 folks from which to seat a jury of 12, plus 2 alternates.

Pretty slim pickin's

Those numbers are typical of the last 4-5 times I've been called. FWIW, I'm on the "It's your civic duty" side.
    Who controls John Gill?

13. Member
    Actually a jury of peers used to mean people that knew you. Hey, it's also the only time you will have more authority than a judge, if you think the law the person is accused of breaking is unconstitutional, you don't have to convict.

Did 2 civil and 3 criminal in county court (one was organized crime, defendant was found dead later).
    Could not believe some of the C**polla some defense attorneys wanted us to swallow.
    For instance, he wasn't stealing it he found it and was putting it back, or the teenage boy was coming on to me.
    And the best was the Mafia does no exist.

Oh yeah forgot federal court where the business owner used the employee's pension to live it up before going bankrupt.
    I was thrown off because i was too close to retirement.
    Last edited by bdda9yh; 06-18-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: fergot

15. Member
    Been called several times and report to the courthouse to serve. Many of those times, we sit and wait, wait, wait. Then after waiting the judge comes out and announces that all cases have been settled out of court and we are free to go. In my opinion, if a jury is called and 200 people put all aside to serve and then show up to be told to go home after a couple of hours is not doing justice to the citizens willing to serve. I think that once a jury is summoned, those charged with a crime should have to face the jury and its decision.

I have been called twice.

1st time: Two days after my open heart surgery. Obviously excused
    2nd time: I was to report the day after my Dad passed. Obviously excused for the term

I would serve but it just doesn't seem to work out.

Our State/County pays $25 a day which is taxable. I have other friends server but they having been firefighters/Paramedics/police officers they were all dismissed by defense attorneys. I am a firefighter as well and suspect the same would happen to me as well. They also generally ask if you have a close relative that work one of the four largest employers in the area. It is usually yes by most everyone. I hate to say it it usually ends up with people who don't work on the jury if you know what I mean. There was even a heroin overdose in a jury not that long ago.

But again I would report if asked.
    "No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden of another" Charles Dickens

"Just because I do not agree with you does not mean I hate you or that I do not respect your opinion. We need to relearn that in our society."

2004 Ranger 521DVX
    2004 Yamaha Vmax HPDI 250

They will pay us 5 days at work. After that you will be sol.

18. Member
    Called once in the mid 70's. Served on a few trials. Tried to hang a verdict, but it only had to be 10 to two. I was getting paid by work so being there was all gravy. I enjoyed it, except for the setting around. To old now. Wife just got called for federal next month. Planned a family cruise and paid for it in feb. They excused her. I would do it again but i am too old.

I cant wait to serve.

I hope it is a civil case--- car accident where the defendant is a real POS and guilty as hell. Because everyone will stay there until the POS's Insurance is taken to the limit. Time to start making them pay if they are going to insure asswipes.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    I cant wait to serve.

I hope it is a civil case--- car accident where the defendant is a real POS and guilty as hell. Because everyone will stay there until the POS's Insurance is taken to the limit. Time to start making them pay if they are going to insure asswipes.
    Now doesn’t that sound fair and impartial...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast