Hope everyone had a good fathers day weekend

was a pretty fun weekend for us. we went back to Aunts creek at Tablerock, the more I go there the more I like it there.
    got to camp pretty late and got everything set up and hit the rack for some sleep. didn't get much sleep at all Friday night so got up about 05:30 to take and go out on the lake for a few hours by myself to fish. Was planning on taking the wife and kids later in the evening when it cooled down some. Ran to my first spot that I have had pretty good luck with in the past, hit the gas out of the ramp boat jumps up on plane and takes off, get about halfway to where I'm going and the boat starts to bog down, well great its still not running right and it comes off plane slowly and I pretty much idle back to where I want to get to. Oh well I'm still gonna fish since I'm here. so I rig 2 rods up with Topwaters (whopper ploppers) getting to where I love those things. make a few casts and have some blow ups but couldn't get hooked up. takes a few times and finally catch a short fish. quite a few casts later I see them busting shad back further in the creek so I take off on the TM and head in a little further, cast after cast I don't get anything so I head back to my little spot. get almost there and the little spot just starts blowing up with fish busting shad, I'm thinking damn I missed it, so I get up there and a few casts later I catch a keeper. so they are still here., I drag a crankbait rod out and tie a Lucky Craft RC 1.5 on in copper green shad, first cast and hook up and bring in a nice keeper. I continue to cast the RC bait and hook up again and it comes off about halfway to the boat, "well crap" so again start fan casting the little point and as I'm reeling in I look down and I see a fish following but doesn't strike.
    I'm thinking now maybe I need to go with a little deeper crank, boat is sitting in about 27' so I dig another rod out and tie on a translucent/green back crank that runs about 10' first cast and a fish loads up. reel it in and its a nice solid 2-1/2lbr, " ok now where getting somewhere", cast back out and another fish slams it, bring it in and this ones a tad bigger about 3lbs, " ok now I'm having fun" about 3-4 casts later rod loads up again starts pulling hard and I'm thinking " no way another 3 or bigger. I get the fish just about to the boat and can see its about the same size as the last 3lbr, then all of a sudden out of no where another about the same size comes up and slams the bait while its in the first fishes mouth and it gets hooked on the front hook, " holy Sh#% I got a double" of course no net out (yea I still haven't learned from that mistake) now I'm wondering how I'm gonna get these both in the boat. I get their heads up and about ready to try and swing them in and the second fish flops and comes off, "damnit" but that was pretty cool. get the first fish in the boat and its a nice solid 3 also.
    By this time its about 7:30 and I'm starting to get a little hungry so figure ill head back to camp and make breakfast for the wife and kids.
    strap the rods down and start the boat up turn around and hit the gas and it jumps up on plane. I'm thinking " good its gonna run right now" run up the cove about 1/4 of a mile or so and run up behind a big ski boat with a skier on so they are already out. ok no biggie ill move out and go around him. So I give the boat some juice and trim it down and hit the first wake ok......then all hell breaks loose.
    after I came off the first wake probably running around 35-40 mph or so a hydraulic line came off the helm the motor turned and with the nose up motor down trying to climb the second wake the motor kicks to one side spins out on top of the wake and throws me out of the drivers seat, all the way over next to the passenger seat , I'm still holding on to the wheel with one hand and looking around trying to figure out what the hell just happened. I slide back over in the drivers seat and turn the wheel and I have no steering and got hydraulic fluid all over my leg. now I'm thinking well this is great no boat is broke...again.
    I get up and put the TM down and head the rest of the mile and a half back to the boat ramp. have to get out in the water to load the boat and head back to camp. While back at camp I crawled under the drivers console to assess the problem and the Previous owner had put one of the hydraulic lines on the helm with a HOSE CLAMP. how dumb is that. its a high pressure hydraulic system and its got a hose clamp on a straight fitting not even a barbed fitting just a smooth nipple type fitting.
    So now the boat is broke and its done fir the weekend cause I'm not putting the wife and kids in it. so we took the kids to Grand country in and let them play at the water park till 10 PM.
    packed up early sunday morning and headed in to Springfield BPS and went through the Wonders of Wildlife museum and aquarium, for those that haven't went I strongly suggest it, it was an amazing place and something for everyone that is for sure we ended up being in there for 5-1/2 hours.
    after that I went out to the store and bought a few things with my fathers day fun money I got from the wife and kids.
    was pretty late when we finally got home and got the boat parked and unloaded, about 9:00 pm. but was one of the most fun weekends I have had in a while.
    now its back to the daily grind and another problem ad project to fix on the boat. hopefully I can get this thing lined out before the first of sept when I'm down there for a week and a half for my honeymoon.

hope everyone else had as good or better a fathers day than I did

2. Member
    Hey Luke,

Had a very nice Fathers day, but not quite as adventurous as yours!

Hope all works out well with your boat repairs.

3. Member
    Luke,

Great report, sounds like a fun and eventful weekend. I have heard the museum is worth the visit, I am going to have to get down there and check it out.