Need some Merc help

I have a 2006 Mercury 225 Optimax (2 stroke). I had a new fuel pump installed 6 months ago, and it has been running beautifully. On Saturday, after running great on Friday, it began missing at top end. No alarm, just losing power and sputtering. It runs fine at 3/4 throttle. When I put it in neutral and engage the throttle out-of-gear, it will buck at top end and emit a continuous alarm. The water pump seems fine, with a good steady stream. The external oil reservoir is full and the lid is tight.
    Any ideas??

2. Member
    ser num /never rev opti engines in neutral
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thanks, I've never heard about not revving in neutral. It's the only time I've done it, so hopefully no damage. I don't have the serial number readily available. I put the boat in a storage unit at the marina yesterday (20 miles away). Is there any other helpful info I can give you without having to be there?

4. Member
    the alarm is for neutral overspeed/ check for degraded fuel hoses and possible fuel system problems [filter]
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Thanks. Could it be a spark plug problem as well?
    I'll check the filters and hoses.

I wish my 1988 15 horse Evinrude would push this boat. It's been sunk twice, fallen out of my truck and frozen in ice. Never missed a beat.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonykidd View Post
    Thanks. Could it be a spark plug problem as well?
    I'll check the filters and hoses.

I wish my 1988 15 horse Evinrude would push this boat. It's been sunk twice, fallen out of my truck and frozen in ice. Never missed a beat.
    Maybe, but check for a intermittent spark first.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor