First oil change...

I'm new to owning a boat. Picked up my 190 TX about a year ago. Since I fish mostly electric only lakes, I've only put less than 10 hours on the 115 Pro XS in the past year. The boat is stored in a garage when not in use.

I'm heading up to a big lake up north for a week in the middle of July. Should I change the lower unit oil before or after that trip? I believe I should be changing the oil because it's been a year, but I am no where near the hours.

2. Member
    I check my lower unit oil by pulling the top plug a couple times a year. I have about 55 hours on mine now? It's a 2017. I've also pulled the prop at least once a year to inspect and make sure fishing line hasn't been caught behind there and ruin the seals. Outside of that I changed the oil at the 20 hour mark per the manual and then at the end of the first and second season. That's what the manufacturer calls for. I'll change the water pump impeller and the gear oil this year as it's the third season. I'll also do the fuel filter this year.

I get the Merc oil change kit from my dealer for about 65.00. It's a REAL easy DIY job. There are a couple of Youtube videos on the oil change.

It won't hurt anything to do the gear oil now, but IMO it'll be fine for no more hours than you've put on it.

3. Banned
    change both oil and lower gear oil before July trip

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I'd be changing the oil. It's not hard (but it is a little messy) and if the engine was new when you bought it, there may be metal shavings in it as the gears seated themselves. If you do it yourself, don't forget to get new gaskets for the screws.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

I would change all the fluids before the trip....especially since it is a year old. I don't know if Yamaha still does it or if Mercury does it, but when I bought my Yamaha it had a special break-in oil that needed to come out and be changed. They did not want the oil run very long, just during the short break-in period. I would change my oil and filters and lower unit fluid. I also would do it every year regardless.

I do not have a Merc so I don't know for sure but I bet the service requirements are at a certain number of hours and also every one year as a requirement. Since the motor is in warranty, read your manual and go by it at the minimum and keep records to show the maintenance schedule was performed in case you have a problem with the motor later on during warranty. You want to be able to prove you or the dealer did the maintenance.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I would change all the fluids before the trip....especially since it is a year old. I don't know if Yamaha still does it or if Mercury does it, but when I bought my Yamaha it had a special break-in oil that needed to come out and be changed. They did not want the oil run very long, just during the short break-in period. I would change my oil and filters and lower unit fluid. I also would do it every year regardless.

I do not have a Merc so I don't know for sure but I bet the service requirements are at a certain number of hours and also every one year as a requirement. Since the motor is in warranty, read your manual and go by it at the minimum and keep records to show the maintenance schedule was performed in case you have a problem with the motor later on during warranty. You want to be able to prove you or the dealer did the maintenance.
    AGREED

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

7. Member
    My 2017 115 ProXS 4S calls for lower unit gear oil every three years.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    My 2017 115 ProXS 4S calls for lower unit gear oil every three years.
    Sure wouldn't wait 3 years for "initial" change!

9. Banned
    Better safe than sorry

10. Member
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...c.html?page=40

I am mistaken, it was Rude that is three years and Merc is still one year.

https://dmna.ny.gov/nynm/manuals/Mer...oke_Manual.pdf

I'd have to go get my specific 115 4S manual. I've had mine right at 18 months, will change it at the end of this season.

I have the pump so it's not a big deal. These smaller outboards can take some serious abuse compared to the bigger motors. In no way has mine nor does it sound like the OP's motor been anywhere near abused. Checking for water intrusion is a biggie.