Questions about assist lift on new terrova

Hi,
    I just got a new boat and it has the new 112 Terrova with the assist lift.
    Question 1:
    Does the assist lift cut down on the actual shaft length in the water? it's almost 4 inches tall.
    Question 2:
    Is there anyway to disengage the lift assist so it won't pop up in rough water while on spot lock?

Thanks
    Keith

2. Member
    The lift assist serves as the steering connection between the transmission and the motor shaft. It can't be disconnected or locked into place since the weight of the lower unit is what keeps it in place. It does keep the motor from adjusting down that extra 3".
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Question number 2 is a no. I have never heard of the Terrova doing this at all. It may if you plan on fishing 6 foot seas.

I not sure on Question # 1. I can say that it will allow the motor to only go down a certain amount because of the depth collar and the lift assist.
    If you need all the shaft you can possibly get in the water then you should have gotten a 72"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Question number 2 is a no. I have never heard of the Terrova doing this at all. It may if you plan on fishing 6 foot seas.

I not sure on Question # 1. I can say that it will allow the motor to only go down a certain amount because of the depth collar and the lift assist.
    If you need all the shaft you can possibly get in the water then you should have gotten a 72"
    I wish i would have. I had the early model on my bass boat and it was 60 inches. I assumed Minkota would have allowed for the 3 inches for the lift assist and made the shaft 63. I now have a Nauticstar227xts which sits higher in the water than the bass boat. I fish open water mostly striped bass now. Gave up on bass fishing LOL.

Ok thank you both. I wonder if Minnkota or some one like Mr Jones could swap out a longer shaft ? ( would pay to have it done) I have heard of people doing this.

5. Member
    It could be swapped, but you would have to change the lift assist, center section of the lower unit and shaft all together. Can get expensive. I would suggest selling the one you have and getting the one you want. You'll loose less money that way.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    It does keep the motor from adjusting down that extra 3".
    Isn't the lift assist shaft longer than a non lift asssist shaft?

Installed a new Terrova with lift assist this year and had to have an extra wear/rub area sewn inside the cover.

New spot were the head contacted the cover was about 3-4 '' past were the old unit contacted the cover.

Sold the old motor so i could not measure to verify if the shaft was longer.

Just curious.

7. Member
    I hope you are right MikeF LOL I will measure mine this weekend and let you know.

Thanks Mr Jones for all your help :)

8. Member
    i measured the shaft and it is not longer than 60. So the shaft is actually 57 inches, And on a Nauticstar 227xts the motor comes out of the water in 2 foot chop. Very frustrating because the 112 has the power and it puts strain on the fiberglass and flexes slightly, Mr jones if i sell the new motor i won't get but maybe 2/3 of what i paid because it is used. I i need to price to sell it fast. so i will be out approx 1000.00 a new 72 costs 2100 to 2500. What would be the cost to change out the shaft approx price