Ultrex intermittent foot pedal freeze

I have a one year old Ultrex. After having a foot pedal problem the board under the foot pedal was replaced with the new design in October. Now the foot pedal has an occasional lock up. When it locks up the remote will not work either. It locks up when my foot is resting on the pedal and not moved for a while. It locks in one direction only. The only way to get it working is to move the pedal in the opposite direction a little. It then operates normally until the next lock up. It happens a couple times an hour. I asked the local MinnKota ASC about it. He said he would check it out but basically said intermittent problems are difficult to find. Sounds like it may be a waste of time to take it in. Anyone have a similar problem?

2. Member
    Havn't seen or head of this problem and as the ASC said, hard to determine if it' working. However, If I was going to change parts, I would change the sensor board again.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    It had the same problem before the sensor board was replaced but only about once a day. Now more frequently.

4. Member
    I had the same problem, but don't have an answer for ya. They replaced mine after multiple trips to the service center (for about 4 different problems not just that one). They never did solve the peddle issue. Sorry! Oh and now my brand new one is sticking on when I hit the button. Just Lovely!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willywonka View Post
    I had the same problem, but don't have an answer for ya. They replaced mine after multiple trips to the service center (for about 4 different problems not just that one). They never did solve the peddle issue. Sorry! Oh and now my brand new one is sticking on when I hit the button. Just Lovely!
    This is usually just the Reed switch being a little too high in the holder. Take the button off the pedal and push it down a little at a time till it stops doing it.

6. Member
    Same issue here! Mine was installed a couple weeks ago and now I'm noticing that when on spotlock is on and when my pedal turns so far it will lock up and the remote wont work until I manually move the pedal with my foot and then I have to hit the spotlock again. I'm afraid to spotlock after launch because of this. I went through the setup steps to calibrate it and still does it. Am I doing something wrong or haven't done something? It seems the unit should know it's rotation limitations and not lock up.
    2000 TR-21
    2000 Yamaha VMax 225

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjp105 View Post
    Same issue here! Mine was installed a couple weeks ago and now I'm noticing that when on spotlock is on and when my pedal turns so far it will lock up and the remote wont work until I manually move the pedal with my foot and then I have to hit the spotlock again. I'm afraid to spotlock after launch because of this. I went through the setup steps to calibrate it and still does it. Am I doing something wrong or haven't done something? It seems the unit should know it's rotation limitations and not lock up.
    The unit knows when the toe is down or the heal is down due to magnetic sensors. If your unit encounters an obstruction or excessive tension of any type, then it will kick out before it reaches toe down or head down. Sometimes this is in the form of a zip tie turned wrong and hitting the footpedal before it gets to the bottom of it's travel.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    OK I'm going to attempt to adjust the reed. When you say just push it down is there not something that has to be loosened off first? What holds it in place?

9. Member
    It's held in place by the tension between the reed holder and the reed.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]