Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Floro has more stretch than mono. Look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Floro has more stretch than mono. Look it up.
    But the rate of stretch is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    But the rate of stretch is different.
    Exactly. All the tests that say it stretches more perform their experiments by stretching the line until it breaks. Mono stretches like a spring, fluoro doesn't stretch (substantially) until it's about to break, and when it gets past that point it doesn't go back - this is why you need to feel for rough feeling line after breaking off fluoro as it fractures when it reaches its breaking point. Thankfully the knot or some nick or kink in the line is almost always the weak link, so this isn't usually a problem.

I didn't read this entire thread for all the brand x recommendations of tungsten weights to buy. They all come from 1 of 2 factories in China, and no one's is better than any other. Tungsten is incredibly difficult to work with as it has a melting point second only to carbon - you know, what diamonds are made out of. Clearly it's not something you can melt down and pour like lead. As a result, the weights are made with tungsten powder suspended in something like nickel. This is why you only get 97% pure tungsten weights. Anybody saying theirs are 100% either has some seriously advanced equipment, or they're lying/really have no clue. My money is on the latter.

Here's the cure to tungsten breaking your line (I did look through the thread enough to see that this wasn't posted already)...Aaron Martens has a similar video showing basically the same thing, but his method wastes a lot more heat shrink. Of course this is a problem because heat shrink is SO expensive! Wesley also doesn't screw around and mumble like Aaron has been known to do on occasion:

It's really important to elongate it over a flame first. If you don't and elongate it just by stretching, it won't mushroom out on the ends.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

If you are paying 5x as much for fluoro then you are doing way it wrong.
    Not sure that floro on Wish.com is good......sniper or seagar is 5x that of mono.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Not sure that floro on Wish.com is good......sniper or seagar is 5x that of mono.

There are some good, affordable fluoros on the market that are nowhere near 5x as much. Obviously if you try and compare the high end fluoros to cheaper mono you can skew the numbers in your favor to make a point.

There are some good, affordable fluoros on the market that are nowhere near 5x as much. Obviously if you try and compare the high end fluoros to cheaper mono you can skew the numbers in your favor to make a point.
    Monitoring this board, invisex, sunline tens to be the more popular brands. And in previous conversations when people converse about floro having issues, most recommend those brands to ward off the said issues.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Monitoring this board, invisex, sunline tens to be the more popular brands. And in previous conversations when people converse about floro having issues, most recommend those brands to ward off the said issues.

I use Sunline Super Fluoro...its only $14.99 or so.

8. Member
    I used to get sand in the hole in the weight that would abrade the line until it broke. That may be the problem
    Hi Mike.

Tie a snell knot or take a look a the hooks you are using. I really never had an issue when I tied a polyomar knot while flipping plastics on FC either.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234