Bassboat warranty question

I've always wondered the logic behind some lifetime warranties that only apply to the original owner. In my mind it's not really a lifetime warranty under those circumstances. Either the company believes in their product or they don't regardless of # of owners.

Does it simply boil done to $$?

2. Member
    It gets more people to buy new to get the lifetime. If I was looking at newer boats it may be a reason to go new

its the lifetime of the purchaser. cant expect them to cover a boat for ten thousand years.
    Ranger Forever

They have to limit there scope of liability, and create incentive to buy new.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I personally think it is just to get someone to consider a new purchase instead of used. Take Trackers hull warranty below, What does it matter if a weld breaks on the original owner or the second or third owner 3 years later? Either they built it well and they stand behind our boats with the strongest warranty coverage you can find. (from Tracker site)

LIMITED LIFETIME STRUCTURAL AND DECK WARRANTY

For the entire life of your boat (if you're the original owner), we cover the hull, interior ribs, transom, exterior welds, and decking.

6. Member
    And you have some boats that have a transferable lifetime hull warranty
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    And you have some boats that have a transferable lifetime hull warranty
    Yes, Skeeter does that.

STRUCTURAL WARRANTY
    For the duration of ownership of the first retail purchaser, the Skeeter boat will be warranted against any major structural defects in material or workmanship for the hull, stringers and transom. This structural warranty may be transferred during the 10 year warranty period to a second retail purchaser, according to the terms below. Structural Warranty to the second retail purchaser will expire 10 years from the first retail purchase date.

So if you sell the boat during the 10 years the second owner will only get the warranty for the remaining time. Seems fair to me.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

8. Member
    He meant basscat I think

9. Member
    But it seems like you are OK with a 3-5 year warranty on the motor, or 36,000 mile warranty on a vehicle.

Most have the same warranty as Skeeter, same transfer ability.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    He meant basscat I think
    Basscat is lifetime no matter how many owners.

P01135809

12. Member
    Listen, I'm not trying to start an argument and I'm not dealing with any issue like this. I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it. If the company believes in their workmanship, it shouldn't matter how many owners there were. Quite frankly a charge to transfer warranty is absolutely a money grab.

Someone made the reference to a car warranty and that's a good example, most cars carry a 3y/36m warranty regardless of how many owners and no need to transfer warranty.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Listen, I'm not trying to start an argument and I'm not dealing with any issue like this. I'm just trying to understand the logic behind it. If the company believes in their workmanship, it shouldn't matter how many owners there were. Quite frankly a charge to transfer warranty is absolutely a money grab.

Someone made the reference to a car warranty and that's a good example, most cars carry a 3y/36m warranty regardless of how many owners and no need to transfer warranty.
    Your right, most auto warranties are 3-5 or a little longer. So isn't a ten year transferable warranty fair? There are many old boats out there that haven't been taken care of should the manufacturer warranty those? And I agree you shouldn't be required to pay for a warranty transfer.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

14. Member
    Some day if I live long enough I'll get back in a Basscat.

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Your right, most auto warranties are 3-5 or a little longer. So isn't a ten year transferable warranty fair? There are many old boats out there that haven't been taken care of should the manufacturer warranty those? And I agree you shouldn't be required to pay for a warranty transfer.
    If u comparing auto most have no factory warranty after 2 years. Mileage comes first in 90% of car warranties.
    Last edited by BMCD; 06-19-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    The Logic in my opinion is that the original purchaser is paying for the warranty in the retail cost. A portion of that retail cost is paying for the warranty liability to the manufacturer. Now when you sell a used boat that person is paying way less than retail. If a person buys a 20 year old boat for 3,000 is it reasonable to expect the manufacturer to replace that hull 25 years later when you only paid 3,000 for it? Which in White River MARINE POLICY WOULD BE A TOTAL OF 10 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL PURCHASE DATE. Another part of the logic is as stated previously it gives incentive for people to buy new.

I'd like to see some percentage numbers, what percent of new bass boats go back to the builder for repairs due to quality issues. How often is a hull warranty actually used? I'm guessing it's a low number vs overall number of boats produced. Outboards are where a warranty is important and brand doesn't matter, they're all a ticking time bomb.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silas79 View Post
    The Logic in my opinion is that the original purchaser is paying for the warranty in the retail cost. A portion of that retail cost is paying for the warranty liability to the manufacturer. Now when you sell a used boat that person is paying way less than retail. If a person buys a 20 year old boat for 3,000 is it reasonable to expect the manufacturer to replace that hull 25 years later when you only paid 3,000 for it? Which in White River MARINE POLICY WOULD BE A TOTAL OF 10 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL PURCHASE DATE. Another part of the logic is as stated previously it gives incentive for people to buy new.
    If the warranty was "paid" for in the initial retail cost then the answer is yes. Again, if a manufacturer advertises a lifetime warranty then what does it matter who/when the owner is when the warranty is used. Again, if the manufacturer has the confidence in their product and advertises a 5 year, 10 year or lifetime warranty it shouldn't matter how many owners. But we know that's not the case for most manufacturers...it's simply a marketing tool.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    I'd like to see some percentage numbers, what percent of new bass boats go back to the builder for repairs due to quality issues. How often is a hull warranty actually used? I'm guessing it's a low number vs overall number of boats produced. Outboards are where a warranty is important and brand doesn't matter, they're all a ticking time bomb.
    I agree the outboard is where the warranty matters and I suspect most hull warranties happen in the first few years of it's life.