New Old Triton TR-19 with a History

I guess this is an appropriate weekend to post this story. I lost my dad in the fall of 2007. He had an immaculate TR-19 with a Yamaha 150 VMax on the back that he bought brand new in 1999. After he died I ran the boat a few times over the next couple of years until my mom got up the nerve to sell it. At the time I had a nice Skeeter and even though she offered to give me the boat I turned it down as I wanted her to just sell it and have the money. I ended up selling it for her to a friend of mine I work with. He's had it ever since. The boat truly looked brand new when he bought it from my mother. My dad was that guy that kept everything washed and waxed and vacuumed out all the time.

I have since sold the Skeeter and fished out of an Xpress for the last few years. I pretty much grew to hate that Xpress for a number of reasons, that aren't pertinent to this story, and had a strong urge for a fiberglass boat again. I tried for a few months to buy my dad's boat back from my buddy but he didn't want to sell it. Well, he has triplet teen boys that are now driving and they had one older Tahoe to share and that was not working out real well and they were having to drive daddy's brand new Denali pickup on occasion and he wasn't keen on that at all. So, a couple of weeks ago he walks into work one day and says, "I've got to buy another truck". He explained why and I said "you want a 2005 F-150"?. He says "yes how much do you want for it, I'm serious and I'll pay cash". Long story short I traded my truck for the boat, title for title. I had been threatening to get a new truck for the last couple of years anyway (got one now). My buddy did not fish much and he always kept the boat in storage and kept it super clean. It still looks like the same boat it was the day my dad died with the exception of a little wear on the seats and carpet, but they are still in quite good shape.

When I got the boat from my buddy everything worked except for the manual bilge, which I already fixed, and the trailer brakes, which I still have to go through. The electronics were still the ones my dad had on there and were super outdated so I'm in the process of changing them out now. I got a Lowrance Elite 9Ti for the dash and an Elite 7Ti for the bow. The motor runs great but will probably be making a trip to Hydro Tech in Nixa this fall for a little warmup .

It's great to be back in a real bass boat again and it's even sweeter that it was my father's boat that he loved so much. I should have never let it slip out of my hands but I couldn't be any more happy to have it back. Father's Day is though when you don't have one anymore and especially when you lose one before his time . You guys make sure you spend time with them while you can if you still have them.

I'll post a few pics once I get the new electronics all mounted up. It's probably the cleanest 19 year old boat you will see. I've got the bow and console kinda half tore apart right now working on the install. Looks like I'm a Triton owner! It rides great and runs pretty dang good for a 150hp. I figure my dad is smiling and I know I am.

2. Member
    Good story & good deal. Congrats.

Good story. I bought a 1998 TR-19 new, and sold it after a few years to finance the purchase of a new home. I always liked that boat and wonder what ever became of it.

4. Member
    Cool story! We need some pics!
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

5. Member
    Awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!

Great story, glad you got that boat back!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

Great story

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

8. Member
    Great story..

9. Member
    Good story

10. Member
    Well here she is. I've got my new electronics mounted and all the general maintenance items done to it (impeller, lower unit oil, plugs, wheel bearing, fuel filter, etc.). I just need to add a hot foot and schedule a trip to Nixa, MO
    Last edited by Bass Junkie; 10-25-2018 at 07:25 PM.

11. Member
    That is one nice boat! You got a gem! Thanks for sharing!

12. Member
    Identical color as my 1999 TR21. I plan to never sell my boat. Good for you.

I really enjoyed your story and it hit very close to home. Thanks for sharing

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Awesome story. What did you not like about the Xpress? You can PM if you want.

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Awesome story. What did you not like about the Xpress? You can PM if you want.
    It rode poorly in rough water, storage did not stay dry, and the wind blew it around way too easy. Those are my top complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    It rode poorly in rough water, storage did not stay dry, and the wind blew it around way too easy. Those are my top complaints.
    Thanks. I have a similar story. I bought a new Skeeter in 2004 and fished out of it for 10 years. 3 kids later and I never fished. Sold it to an old man but he called me the next week saying it was too nice to fish from. I was jaded and bitter but should have bought it back. Got him in touch with another guy that called me wanting to buy it and he bought it. He ran it for 4 years. I told him to let me know if he wanted to get rid of it. He texted me yesterday so I might end up with the boat I bought new 14 years ago...with a couple more scratches

"Don't be afraid to see what you see."
    Ronald Reagan

17. Member
    I had a 1997 TR-19 with a 150 Merc on it and I loved that boat. Traded it in for the boat I have now which is a TR-21X, 2005. Loved them both but the TR-21 has so much more room than the TR-19 did but I honestly believe the TR-19 was a better built boat.

Oh yea, one thing you might want to check on that year trailer. They had a single leaf spring that are known to break. At some point Triton would provide you new springs free of charge but I'm sure that is no longer the case. If you have a single leaf spring I would highly recommend that you change it out for a multiple leaf spring. The single leaf is going to break, it's just a matter of when and it could cost you the entire rig!There were a lot of posts on the subject way back when so you might do a search here on the Triton board and you will see what I mean.

Good luck with the boat and you are 100% right about Dad's. I lost mine in 1975 and he was just 52 years old. I'm now 67 and I still miss him most everyday!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I had a 1997 TR-19 with a 150 Merc on it and I loved that boat. Traded it in for the boat I have now which is a TR-21X, 2005. Loved them both but the TR-21 has so much more room than the TR-19 did but I honestly believe the TR-19 was a better built boat.

Oh yea, one thing you might want to check on that year trailer. They had a single leaf spring that are known to break. At some point Triton would provide you new springs free of charge but I'm sure that is no longer the case. If you have a single leaf spring I would highly recommend that you change it out for a multiple leaf spring. The single leaf is going to break, it's just a matter of when and it could cost you the entire rig!There were a lot of posts on the subject way back when so you might do a search here on the Triton board and you will see what I mean.

Good luck with the boat and you are 100% right about Dad's. I lost mine in 1975 and he was just 52 years old. I'm now 67 and I still miss him most everyday!
    Yep, I went out to the shop and looked at the springs and it has the dreaded mono leaf. Did a little research on here from previous threads and found what I need to replace them. Gonna do that for sure, don't want a side of the road breakdown or worse. Thanks for the heads up.

I did the springs on my '98 trailer a couple years ago. It was a night and day difference in the way the thing pulls. Well worth the $200.00ish and hour and a half worth of work in the driveway.

20. Member
    Love the color, hard to find green boats now that are not lime green. Cool that you got it back!