Thread: Ultrex problem

Ultrex problem

Ultrex issues

I have new Ultrex that was bought last August, went to the lake one time and foot pedal wouldn't work. I have had the sensor replaced in May and it worked fine my first trip out this year as far as I could tell but didn't use it a lot that day. Two weeks ago I used it a lot more but it didn't have much power. Thought the trolling motor batteries must be bad as they were old. Replaced all trolling batteries and went yesterday. Same result, after maybe 2 hours of actual use it would barely turn the boat on level 10. When I got home (hour later) I check for line wrapped. It was fine and no visible problems. I by chance tried to turn the prop manually and it was pretty tight and rough. I could spin it but it felt like it was binding. Went back today and tried the prop and it was easy to spin.. Acts like when it got hot from use it gets some type of resistance and after cools down spins freely. Any ideas??

I think now the batteries I replaced were not bad!

2. Member
    Heat won't cause one to bind up. Sounds like something inside restricting it. It needs to go to an ASC under warranty.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    I will just wondered if others had this problem And the resolution. I'm not keen on fixing a brand new product but I haven't been told that. Hopefully they just exchange thanks

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Llandrum View Post
    I will just wondered if others had this problem And the resolution. I'm not keen on fixing a brand new product but I haven't been told that. Hopefully they just exchange thanks
    I can understand the concern, however, Last August isn't a brand new product. I can't see you getting an exchange trolling motor. I would wait til it was opened up and see what the internal problem is. If it's a defective product, warranty will fix it. If it's impact damage that has caused something like a broke magnet, then it will be up to the ASC to determine the warranty status.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Has been some time since bought but due to illness only 2-3 hours of run time at most. I will take it to local ASC and see what it is.
    Last edited by Llandrum; 06-18-2018 at 06:20 PM.

6. Member
    Had this problem with my new ultrex 2nd time out this year. It would make noise and binde up, brought it to my dealer and Minnkota replaced the motor and shaft, the magnet had broke and was rubbing on the armature.my shop had the replacement part in three days.