Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helix 7 SI Image Looks Like Atari Instead of Demo Pics

I feel like my Helix 7 SI is very pixelated and is not nearly as clear as the demo screen shows. I am on a sand bottom lake and am not sure if that has anything to do with it but even big railroad ties don't show up :/ The transducer is clear of any obstructions too. I noticed posts about trolling motor interference but mine looks the same whether the trolling motor is on or off. I also tried messing with the contrast and all of that and then also reset factory settings, none of which helped.20180617_190805.jpg Here is a pic of what I'm seeing.

Are you using the HDSI transducer?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    See a few potential problems
    - SI range set to 12 feet which is pretty low (try increasing to 50'-75')
    - Speed is 0.2MPH which is pretty slow (try 2-3 MPH)

4. Member
    To me pic looks hot , try turning sensitivity down, also may be some rfi

5. Member
    Ya, I had it set to 12 because I was only in 3 ft of water. When I get into 20 to 30 feet of water I bump it up to 60 feet but it still looks the same. I also normally run it at 3 and also looks the same unfortunately:(

6. Member
    No, it is the compact SI transducer that came with the head unit.

7. Member
    I have played with the sensitivity to no avail. What do you think would be causing the rfi and do you have any tricks to help with that?

8. Banned
    The package these come in should have a statement saying. "Warning, if you expect to see images like those on the simulator,box or manual you will be disappointed. Please order the hdsi transducer unless you enjoy useless images. Thanks for buying Humminbird".

9. Member
    Also make sure sharpness is OFF under enhance menu.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

Quote Originally Posted by NateK View Post
    I have played with the sensitivity to no avail. What do you think would be causing the rfi and do you have any tricks to help with that?
    In your picture, it looks like the unit is at the bow so it's most likely your trolling motor would be causing RFI. Contact Humminbird Customer Service for help with that issue.
    The grainy looking image is not RFI though, it would be the lighter returns in sections across the SI view when the motor is running.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Get you the HDSI transducer. Money WELL spent.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

12. Member
    What is the part # for the hdsi transducer for a Helix 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    Get you the HDSI transducer. Money WELL spent.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    The package these come in should have a statement saying. "Warning, if you expect to see images like those on the simulator,box or manual you will be disappointed. Please order the hdsi transducer unless you enjoy useless images. Thanks for buying Humminbird".
    Haha, ya that's what I was afraid of....I essentially just bought an expensive (at least to me) version of a standard Helix 7. Should have just saved the $200 lol

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    Also make sure sharpness is OFF under enhance menu.
    I'll give that a shot, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NateK View Post
    I feel like my Helix 7 SI is very pixelated and is not nearly as clear as the demo screen shows. I am on a sand bottom lake and am not sure if that has anything to do with it but even big railroad ties don't show up :/ The transducer is clear of any obstructions too. I noticed posts about trolling motor interference but mine looks the same whether the trolling motor is on or off. I also tried messing with the contrast and all of that and then also reset factory settings, none of which helped. Here is a pic of what I'm seeing.
    The Simulator recording is used for multiple models. Do not think it was done with a Helix 7 SI unit and Compact SI transducer.
    My first generation Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS has the same Simulator recording as my Helix 7 CHIRP SI GPS G2.
    I think that same recording was used with the XX9 models.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

As said, water too shallow, speed to low.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    As said, water too shallow, speed to low.
    No such thing. Humminbird's Side Imaging works very well from near zero to about 12 mph (has an adjustable chart speed, aka scroll speed) just needs some movement to scan. It will display over a 100' of bottom as long as the transducer is not buried in the bottom and it is flat enough.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    I can attest to the slow readings I run electric only where top speed is a blistering 3 mph and that’s
    hauling the mail! Lmfao match your speed to chart speed and when you get the pic where you want it
    then you can turn up chart speed and fish will show much better. I usually do 2 mph cruising speed with my chart speed at 4 and fish show well. Hb shows side scan out to 100 ft in 2 ft of water at 455 kHz which I think the 7 runs if I’m not mistaken.
    Don’t give up yet. I really think you got multiple problems. If I were you I would borrow a 12 volt battery and run your helix seperatly one outing to at least eliminate the rfi . I think you will be surprised.

19. Member
    these pics taking while spot locked, almost sitting still

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    I can attest to the slow readings I run electric only where top speed is a blistering 3 mph and that’s
    hauling the mail! Lmfao match your speed to chart speed and when you get the pic where you want it
    then you can turn up chart speed and fish will show much better. I usually do 2 mph cruising speed with my chart speed at 4 and fish show well. Hb shows side scan out to 100 ft in 2 ft of water at 455 kHz which I think the 7 runs if I’m not mistaken.
    Don’t give up yet. I really think you got multiple problems. If I were you I would borrow a 12 volt battery and run your helix seperatly one outing to at least eliminate the rfi . I think you will be surprised.
    Yes, the Helix 5 and Helix 7 SI models just have 455 kHz for Imaging. Default for the non-MEGA SI Helix 9 is also 455 kHz since it comes with the Compact SI transducer. Any of them will have sharper images using the larger HDSI transducer but that transducer does not add the 800 kHz capability to a unit that does not have it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast