Hydraulic Steering

So... on another note, my steering is alot stiffer since the repower. I have a Uflex silversteer (supposedly high performance) cylinder, and the matching helm. I used the old sea-star hoses which are rated for 1500 psi. The cavitation plate does not have a torque tab. I have read and heard conflicting information on if it needs one or not with hydraulic steering. The Mercury had one that was built into the skeg... kind of a Mercury design per say. So... do you guys run with or without the torque tab? I am going to get my hydraulic system bled with a machine to rule that out. Thanks.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X
    Powered by Suzuki 250SS

2. Member
    On my 150ss I had torque issue. I installed the torque tab that rivets to the skeg of the motor and it solved it.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

3. Member
    I converted mine to Sea Star steering from cable. Works fine. Some Pro helms increase the steering effort.

Forgot to add I removed the torque tab no effect.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 06-18-2018 at 07:21 AM.

4. Member
    I don't have the torque tab either & have Sea Star steering. From my experience, once I get the tilt/trim & engine height correct when I'm on plane, the steering loosens up & it drives like normal. I believe the lower unit design is why it's difficult at times to steer this motor around. Additionally, you can tell if you air in your steering lines by seeing how much play is in your steering rams when you "rock" your motor by hand.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

Thanks guys. I will look into a torque tab.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X