Dogfish_Jones

Question My trailor....ugh

I have a 2015 Nitro and yesterday I unloaded my boat and notice two of my bunk board were completely broke into. One on the inner part, the longer ones was broken in two places and the middle bolt was not even in the wood board anymore.
    I am going to replace all four bunk boards now, the other two are sure to be close to breaking into.
    3 years and these things are rotten all the way through, you all ever had this problem with these trailers?

the broken seams weird, normally they just fall off, did you use a steep ramp last ? my 2015 has been used 300 times or so and they never dry till January, they do just suck in general, was told to NOT use green treated lumber as the chemicals come out and cause blisters, so either us kiln dried pressure treated or ceder i think.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Dogfish_Jones
    Nothing real steep, its steeper during my winter fishing as the lakes around here are drawn down. The thing that really bothers me is the wood is rotten where they broke. They were real spongy and just rotten wood.
    I never had to replace my other boat trailer bunk boards before and I had it for years.
    Yea, I am going with the Kiln dried pressure treated wood.

ive been thinking of welding flat stock between posts (or channel) and then composite decking material, i know alone the composite would bow and snap, just thinking though
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Dogfish_Jones
    Composites a good way to go, I think there is a site (Ultimate bunkboard) or something like that that sells them but they are over $100 each.
    I'm thinking when they made my trailer the wood must have been sitting outside for a while. I got a bad batch of lumber installed on mine.
    Lucky that I found them broke before they did fall off and had my hull riding on the metal frame.

6. Member
    It's not a bad batch,it's cheap white pine.I just replaced mine 3 weeks ago.Only thing holding the 2x4's together was the carpet.I used kiln dried treated lumber.

7. Member
    Constantly wet bunk carpet rots bunks and puts hulls at risk of blistering.

8. Member
    Bunks on my trailer started going bad after 3yrs. I believe it was due to wrong type lumber. Thought there should be closer spacing between the supports but that doesn't help if the wood is rotten...LOL Replaced them with pressure treated as mentioned and used super glue on the bolts.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

9. Dogfish_Jones
    I ordered the bunk carpet and adhesive glue from one of the sponsor here on this site. It's being shipped out today to me. I have read some other boat forums and some very reputable shops that said you can use regular pressure treated lumber, just cover them in some clear wood finish or water sealant first.

10. Member
    I have had the same problem on my last two trailers. First thing you need to do is remove the lags and replace with carriage bolts, lags loosen up and fall out. This way if the wood does get a little punky the bunk will stay in place. Had to tie many bunks back to the steel bracket after offloading and seeing the bunk fall off of the steel clip because the lag is missing.

11. Dogfish_Jones
    The problem I see with carriage bolts is the upper part of your bunk board will have part of that bolt rubbing against the hull of your boat. I guess you could sink the head down into the wood on top to eliminate the bolt from the top railing. But if they did ever come loose, you would have a huge problem before you might could see it.
    I am going to epoxy the lag bolts when I put them in the bottom and use locking washer too. My carpet and glue has come in, I just need to go get my boat off and put it at my dock while I repair this thing tomorrow or Friday.

12. Member
    My 2012 trailer bunks we’re 100% rotten this year. Easy fix just wish I wouldn’t have been in a hurry when buying carpet. I bought what was close, quick and convenient instead of shopping around. What I have is low quality and will more than likely be ripped by end of the year.
    "If you only have men that will come when there is a good road, do not send them. I want men who will come when there is no road at all."

13. Member
    Once you have the carriage bolts real tight if it doesn't sink down enough into the wood i just give it a good hit with a hammer and it will sink further and tighten the nut more. Did this on last 2 trailers i had and will be doing my 2015 i bough a year ago. Never scared the hull at all. Good luck however you proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    The problem I see with carriage bolts is the upper part of your bunk board will have part of that bolt rubbing against the hull of your boat. I guess you could sink the head down into the wood on top to eliminate the bolt from the top railing. But if they did ever come loose, you would have a huge problem before you might could see it.
    I am going to epoxy the lag bolts when I put them in the bottom and use locking washer too. My carpet and glue has come in, I just need to go get my boat off and put it at my dock while I repair this thing tomorrow or Friday.

14. Dogfish_Jones
    After some research it does seem the preferred approach is to use carriage bolts. I am going to countersink them into the board, use silicone to fill the hole to keep water from seeping into that countersink. Then use a good washer and a lock nut on the underside.
    This I have found to be the best way to make sure your bunk boards stay attached to the frame of your trailer for years to come.
    Thank for the help and advice guys!.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014 nitro z7 View Post
    It's not a bad batch,it's cheap white pine.I just replaced mine 3 weeks ago.Only thing holding the 2x4's together was the carpet.I used kiln dried treated lumber.
    Yup. My Nitro was the same but I replaced with cypress and lasted 10 years and still looked new.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

On my old 911 I had to replace all of the boards over the 10 years I owned it. But only once. When I replaced them I used pressure treated dried lumber, treated (again) with Thompson's water seal. And I used silicone sealant on every bolt hole as a precaution. I probably replaced the first pair after about 5 years, and the smaller ones at the 7 year mark.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin