Thread: Ohio River

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ohio River

I mostly fish Cowan and Rocky Fork. I’ve been getting the itch to try the Ohio River. Is this a good/bad time of the year to try it out? If I do try it where should I concentrate my efforts? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Member
    You can always catch them in the creeks, main river is muddy right now you just have to keep an eye on it. Pick a creek and fish it thoroughly almost all of them have fish in them. Tanners would be a good place to start.

3. Member
    Sorry I should of said I’d be fishing the Meldahl pool in the maysville area.

4. Member
    Does anyone know what the river looks like right now. Is it still chocolate milk

Meldahl is actually a very nice pool to start your "River" experience in! Lots of creeks in both Kentucky and Ohio, and when the water calms down the main River can be fun too. Sorry, don't know what kind of shape the River is in up there. Good Luck!

6. Member
    A lot of muddy water coming down from the upper pools. I'd say it probably muddy there around white oak
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

7. Member
    Alright. I’ll probably fish stay away from the river tomorrow and try somewhere else. Thank you very much for the info.

8. Banned
    There's never a good time to challenge the Ohio River... Dive in head first... I have a love, love relationship with the river... It'll kick you in the the teeth but I still love to fish it... Dive in, put your time in and you'll be rewarded... Maybe... Dan

9. Member
    I have a campsite across from New Richmond and just returned this morning. The river was coming down from 32' and extremely muddy. Lots of debris. It was at 17' this morning when we left and still somewhat muddy. Hopefully it will clear up soon.

10. Member
    I had someone tell me to focus on fishing gravel bars on the main river. Is it hard to find gravel bars? Should I be looking with my eyes and if so what am I looking for. Or should I be using my graphs to find the gravel bars. Sorry if this question sounds stupid to some of you. I really just don’t know what I am looking for.

11. Member
    I've had luck fishing rock. Gravel bars, I'm not sure if they are talking above or below the water. The gravel or rock I fish are mostly above the water. I have a few spots where small creeks come out that create sand/gravel bars. Really just anything that breaks the current. Isolated grass I've found can be very productive as well. Caught 3 over 15" on white spinnerbaits and small crankbaits around isolated grass. Hope this helps.

12. Member
    Well I finally made it out on the river for the 1st time today. It was pretty stained. Maybe a foot visibility. I started off fishing the mouths of a couple creeks with no luck. Tried fishing the main river in a couple spots with no luck. So decided to run way in the back of eagle creek. Missed two good bites flipping wood. 100% my fault on missing these fish. Should have not flubbed them up. I’ve never seen so many clouds of tiny (1 inch) baitfish. They were on every possible piece of cover in the river. Anyone have any suggestions on something I was done my wrong. Or does it sound like a normal day on the river lol. I felt kinda lost on the main river and didn’t know if I was fishing in areas that would even hold fish.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebass View Post
    Well I finally made it out on the river for the 1st time today. It was pretty stained. Maybe a foot visibility. I started off fishing the mouths of a couple creeks with no luck. Tried fishing the main river in a couple spots with no luck. So decided to run way in the back of eagle creek. Missed two good bites flipping wood. 100% my fault on missing these fish. Should have not flubbed them up. I’ve never seen so many clouds of tiny (1 inch) baitfish. They were on every possible piece of cover in the river. Anyone have any suggestions on something I was done my wrong. Or does it sound like a normal day on the river lol. I felt kinda lost on the main river and didn’t know if I was fishing in areas that would even hold fish.
    Sounds like a normal day on the river for me.

14. Member
    I was there this last weekend same same three 10" fish...out of the same creek

15. Member
    Sounds like a typical day on the river. I fished there Wednesday morning and caught 3 on the main river, all were 10" to 12". Its a tough place to fish. Should pick up a bit in the near future as fall starts rolling in. Really tired of all the rain though.

If you were fishing cover with bait on it, then you weren't doing anything wrong. It's just hard to get the fish to bite sometimes.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

17. Member
    What’s the river look like. Is it rolling to much to fish.

18. Banned
    Markland pool has a little color to it but it's still fishable... Dan

19. Member
    Here is a site that shows the mudding ss (turbidity) of that pool. 45 or higher I stay home.

https://bbriverboats.com/ohio-river

20. Member
    ^^^ should be muddiness not mudding ss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast