MHX S-Glass rod build question..... Insite needed please

This is my first attempt at rod building. I ordered the 7'6" MHX S-Glass in Medium power (1/4oz-3/8oz). I received the rod and kinda upset. It feels super heave to me.... even though in the description it says "lightweight".
    My other 2 cranking rods are Quantum KVD rods so they are a graphite/glass composite and this S-glass blank feels heavier than my 7'10" med KVD rod finished....

This will be my first all glass rod, are they traditionally heavier? Am I being too picky?
    I wanted a lighter rod for throwing Rapala Shad Raps and the specs of this rod fit those baits perfect so I thought it would work but i cant see it working for anything....

New Gen 2 MHX S-Glass Blanks

These new S-Glass blanks are by no means the S-Glass blanks of the past. MHX has taken the traditional S-Glass woven fabric and incorporated a new hardened resin system and even updated the finish to a translucent caramel that will really make your wraps pop.
    These new S-Glass blanks have much smaller diameters in the butt and tip sections, are more responsive, and incredibly sensitive!
    These lightweight, yet powerful rod blanks provide the professional custom builder and hobbyist a dependable rod blank they can rely on for years to come. All blanks come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

Yes they are heavier. I love them, but not all do. I hate graphite for a cranking rod so I put up with the extra weight.

3. Member
    If your set on anything with the word glass in it in that length you will have to put up with the weight. If you can live with graphite, take a look at the CRB color series I776lM specs. I have 4 of them i built for trolling shad raps and they are very good for that. I am not a fan of heavy weight rods but as Ryan says some like them better.

4. Member
    I’m going to build it and test it to make final say but I really really want a lightweight stick that will load well and cast a lightweight Shad rap. I really don’t want to use a spinning rod for this.
    Suggestiins? I will take a look at the CRB stick.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

5. Member
    What about a cb841 blend? Or a cb843? I dont like glass, too heavy in my opinion. A lot of people do.
    Skeeter Sx186 w/ yamaha 150

I've been looking hard at the Rainshadow Judge for this. Graphite in the butt and glass in the tip.

7. Member
    The first thing you need to learn is that it does not matter if it's a spinning rod blank or a casting rod blank, neither know what they are being used for. The important part is choosing a blank that fits your specs and usage be it spinning or casting blank that fits the bill.

8. Member
    Rodgeeks SG79MM is 2.4oz. I've only built the MHM and HM's but I'd bet the MM would be good for shad raps. It's only $59 to boot.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadsc View Post
    What about a cb841 blend? Or a cb843? I dont like glass, too heavy in my opinion. A lot of people do.
    I was already looking at the CB841. looks like a great blank for this. I just may buy this one too. I think it will work better for what I want.
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

The lightest glass rod i've built on is the lami skeet reese (called something else now) MB90-1F-H 7'6", MB84-1E-H 7'. wasn't s glass but they'll do for med-hvy cranks and do what you would expect a glass rod to do. the 7'6" is really nice on 8/10xd style baits.

if you want a truly light weight rod, try a 7'10" 3 power hydra popping blank. I am and always have been a glass guy, but i really really love that blank for med to light crankbaits and single swimbaits on 1/4oz lead. Acts very much like glass, but more sensitivity and very lightweight.

11. Member
    I'd also take a look at the Rainshadow crankbait blanks in their Revelation series. They're graphite and they act a lot like fiberglass. I built a rod for throwing squarebills on the CB66MH and absolutely love it.

Try the composite blanks they have a graphite butt section that has glass blended in to the top section. They are lighter than a solid Glass rod. You some of the best traits of each. Light weigh small diameter of graphite in the butt section and flex and forgiveness of glass on the business end.

http://www.mudhole.com/MHX-CCB865-X-...site-Rod-Blank

Try the composite blanks they have a graphite butt section that has glass blended in to the top section. They are lighter than a solid Glass rod. You get some of the best traits of each. Light weigh small diameter of graphite in the butt section and flex and forgiveness of glass on the business end.

http://www.mudhole.com/MHX-CCB865-X-...site-Rod-Blank

14. Member
    Another vote here for the Rain Shadow Rev. CB blanks. I'm using a 7' Medium and a 7'6 MH and really like both. The medium should work well for the Shad Raps.