Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Phenix Feather Spinning Rods 7'1" Medium

Anyone have this rod? Review? Thinking of getting one for Keitech swimbaits.

Phenix Feather Spinning Rods 7'1" Medium
    Taper Line Wt. Lure Wt. Guides Handle Type Handle Length Stock Price Qty
    Fast 6-14lb 1/8-3/4oz 8+Tip Feather Spin A 12-3/4"

2. Member
    I have this rod , super light and easy to fish with. It’s more of a Ned rig, drop shot rod. You could fish a Keitech bait but I feel it needs a little more backbone for that.

3. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    This is the meduim/fast. Should have plenty of backbone for what I need.... don't you think??

4. Member
    I wouldn’t go above 3/16 oz to be honest on that rod

5. Banned
    I can’t comment on that exact rod, but I will tell you to go a action heavier than you think with their rods. I just ordered a 7’7” heavy action casting to throw football jigs with, and I feel it’s too limber. I’m gonna send it back. Its more like a medium heavy and a weak medium heavy at that.

6. Member
    I agree , they fish an action lighter than suggested. I would go to the heavy for keitech baits trust me it will fish like a medium heavy

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Pudd legend View Post
    I wouldn’t go above 3/16 oz to be honest on that rod
    Wow. I consider that in Light power territory. The two ML casting rods I have will handle heavier weights than that. I'm often casting a 5/16 oz. spinnerbait on the one. Unfortunately I seldom ever get to handle a rod before buying. I look at the rod's spec and read user reviews. Glad I read this thread as I have considered getting a Feather casting rod. I don't need rods to be that light, but they do feel awful nice in hand with a light reel mounted.

8. Member
    If you're gonna fish braid you can use a softer rod comfortably and still get good hook sets.

9. Member
    i don't know about the medium but i have the spinning feather 7'1" light and feel it is appropriately rated...i use it for dropshot and ned rigs.

10. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Thanks guys..... I got the Medium as am am going to throw 2.8 and 3.3 keitech swim baits on a 1/8 oz head. If it is just to light, I'll use it for D/S or NED.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    Thanks guys..... I got the Medium as am am going to throw 2.8 and 3.3 keitech swim baits on a 1/8 oz head. If it is just to light, I'll use it for D/S or NED.
    Please give us a review after using it a bit. A second opinion is always good.

12. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    Please give us a review after using it a bit. A second opinion is always good.
    I will. It is being delivered today. I am putting on a Stradic 2500 FA with 8lb P-line Fluoroclear.
    Headed to the lake tomorrow with it and to the Suskie River for big smallies on Thursday.

13. Member
    I have this one and the 6'9 med. i really like this line of rod. I have revo rockets, with 15# braid and 6#,8# floro leaders. Drop shot, shakey head, neds, wackeys, realyy like it. They are a little softer than what you may be used to so i suggest holding on in the store first. Meaning a med us more toward the light side, med heavey more toward the med. to me that is how they feel.

14. Member
    Phenix blanks have less power for the same rating as most other blanks. I'd say expect a step down from what it's rated. M = ML, MH = M etc. Nice blanks, I've built a few just not accurately rated and their weight ratings are way off. A good example is I called Phenix looking for a recommendation on a spinning blank for throwing tubes on the great lakes (1/8-1/2 oz tube head, exposed hook) and they steered me towards a MH casting blank. It's actually dead on for what I want it for. You wouldn't catch me building it as a casting rod and pitching plastics with it though in any kind of cover.

15. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I appreciate all the input on my new rod. I used it 2 days. Wed I got 5 smallies biggest was 2lbs. I used a plastic 3.3 swim bait with a 1/8th jig head. "PERFECT" It did just what I wanted.
    Today I went to the Susky river. I used the rod with a 3/16th jig head and 3.3 & 3.8 plastic swim baits. Biggest fish was almost 3 lbs. The rod performed to y liking very much. It had plent of backbone
    for those river small mouth.
    I am pleased with the rod and I made the right choice for what I wanted. I AGREE that it is lighter than a medium but it is just right for what I wanted,,, AGAIN THANKS for all you input guys.

16. Member
    Thanks for the quick feedback. Sounds like I need to move up near you. Fishing is horrible in my area.

17. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    Thanks for the quick feedback. Sounds like I need to move up near you. Fishing is horrible in my area.
    The lakes up here are pretty good. Lots of little lakes with unlimited HP outboards. I would be glad to take you out one day. PM me and I am sure
    you would have a good day with us.
    Tim

18. Member
    Tim,
    Last edited by Big-Bass1; 07-14-2018 at 11:44 AM.

19. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big-Bass1 View Post
    Tim,

I am right down the road from you...I would love to see how that Feather feels. Any chance I can check it out before buying as I was looking at them myself. PM and we can talk. Thanks!
    Sent you a PM Kevin

These Feather rods are an absolute home run at their price point. As was mentioned, rated a little heavy (medium = medium light), but I can’t believe how light and sensitive they are for the price. Insane. They’re certainly not doing their “higher end” rods any favors with this series.

I’m actually in the process of building a spinning rod intended for skipping on one of their 6’9” mh blanks that’s sold as a casting rod. Definitely more medium in power compared to most companies’ ratings. $69 for that blank is a steal, and it’s going to be absolutely perfect.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast