1994 Johnson 150, no RPM gauge, no charging system

Hey. I have a 1994 Johnson 150 on my Javelin bassboat. Since the day i bought it 3 years ago, the RPM gauge didnt work.

Recently, I was told that a bad rectifier or regulator could be the cause for the RPM gauge not working, and that using it like this could be dangerous because it could build up voltage and start melting and burning.

So yesterday, with the boat on the water, I checked with my volt meter and had about 12.8 volts at the battery posts, both with the engine running and off.... so, i guess the charging system is not working... from my research, i believe a bad rectifier or stator could be causing this.

Is there a test I can do to check if i need a stator, regulator, or any other part??

Thank you

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check your stator voltage using your volt meter with a DVA adapter attached and connect to the two yellow wires coming from your stator to the Voltage Regulator. If the readings are correct on the stator replace your Voltage Regulator. Also inspect the voltage regulator for signs of areas of burned spots.

3. Member
    thank you! i have been trying to unplug the yellow wires that go from the stator to the regulator, but im having problems with the plug.

now, do you think this is a burned spot meaning a bad regulator?