Caught my first two SM on a Ned Rig...

About 2 lbs each. Used 1/8 oz Gopher heads and a 3" Roboworm "Ned Worm", some very old 8 lb test copolymer line, Stradic 2000 on an old Quantum Energy 6'6" Medium rod...which is more like a ML. I think it's a pretty good combo for Ned Rig. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Robow...e-ROBONED.html

Before you say that the 1/8 oz jig was too heavy, it was pretty breezy. Stuck one fish in the corner of the mouth and the other in the roof of the mouth. The same worm caught both fish, and kept on fishing, so they seem soft but hold up reasonably well without using super glue or anything tricky. In short, it was fun, and I'll look forward to doing it again...soon! Might even spool up some fresh line.

I’ve become a huge fan of the Ned on St Clair this year. One worm will often last over 20 fish. Can be fished real slow (dragged) or twitched on slack line like a small jerkbait. Likely will become more difficult to drag as the weeds come up. Have yet to try the light heads tho I’ve heard they work better in thicker weeds.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

I suspect you're right about the lighter Ned heads being better in weeds (which we have lots of...milfoil mostly). Both fish I caught came up with a wad of milfoil, and one of them was really a big wad. The second was really buried up in the weeds, but finally came out with steady pressure.

Just thinking back about how old that line is. It's been on the reel since 2005 or before! I should throw away (recycle!) almost all the non-braid line I have in my stash, because most of it is from Y2K or before! Ho-Lee chit! I guess I'll be sending another order to TW...

Today was good for the Ned Rig. Both SM and LM...plus a bunch of "Rock Bass". Inside weedlines were where it was at. I'm not sure the Ned Rig was the BEST solution, but it did ok. Today used the same Roboworm Ned Worm (Green Pumpkin Perch) but an Owner 1/32 oz "Block Head" jighead. July 2 2017 LM Ned Rig1%.jpgJuly 2 2017 LM Ned Rig 2%.jpg
    Last edited by Walkabout7781; 07-02-2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: mo info

5. Member
    Isn’t the Robo Ned worm a little longer that the TRD? If so do u nip off a bit?
    Red Sox in 6!

They're both nominally 3", tho there is also a longer size of the Robo Ned worm...4.5"...which I didn't buy, and likely won't. IMO, I can use a cut down Dinger, probably cheaper too. It might make sense to buy 6" Dingers and cleave them in half; twofer. For that matter, you could cut a Zoom Trick Worm in half and be in the ballpark. I don't think it's that important. FWIW, I have some TRD's, but haven't used them yet. But, BPS had them on 30% off when I was there on June 7th.

I liked the Owner "Block Head", in every way. When I ordered them from TW, they didn't have 1/16 oz GP, and I already had 1/8 oz Gophers, so what I now have is 1/32 oz and 1/8 oz. I was kinda surprised with how well the 1/32 oz worked today, but it wasn't very windy. Last outing, it was windy, so the 1/8 oz worked nicely. I'll look forward to getting some 1/16 oz blockheads, either GP or bare lead.

Edit: Correction, the TRD is 2.75" according to TW website info.
    Last edited by Walkabout7781; 07-05-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: correction

7. Member
    I bought some of the 3" Roboworm neds and caught some fish on them but I really think the elaztech stuff is the best, floats the best and makes that thing stand up. I usually buy the big TRDs or the Strike King Zeros and cut them down to whatever size I want. I've tried a bunch of different heads and I like the Zman power finesse ones the best (even on the 3"). Size head depends on depth and wind but I do try to get away with as light as possible, they take in on the fall a lot.

One thing that I did notice when I'm in really clear water is that I do better with straight 6lb flouro. I usually just use Invisix or Sniper, it's the same set up I throw little hair jigs on but I do prefer braid with a leader for hair jigs.

With the 1/32 head, I saw a nice spiral fall, just like an internally weighted tube bait. I'm not concerned with floating tail up, but might experiment with Zoom Trick Worms cut in half. Plus, the head itself will tend to stand up. I know the 1/8 oz did, but didn't check the 1/32 oz. With 1/8 oz heads, these would be excellent for nesting bass, if you're so inclined...but so are tubes.