Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I just took the truck and trailer down to the garage that does most of my service. Owner there says tires are good. Trans temp is at 169 degrees at 52 mph. 174 at 60. Rig likes to cruise at 52-53. People on I-95 might not like but that's going to be my average speed.

2. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    got tranny temp and oil temp gauges? study them, when hot 230+ slow down and pray about wheel bearings but in reality outside air temp of 100* shouldn't change anything, or barrow a buddies diesel and his trailer, chain binder the trailer on the trailer and floor it?
    I've done this and it ain't fun, turn the heat on if she gits above 200.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    I've seen mine up to 199 degrees once, usually in 190's.
    Max that I have seen mine was 200. That was about 65mph on a 101 degree day
    When you stop, let it idle for about 10 minutes without the AC on to cool down

4. Member
    Our trucks run a 210 degree Fahrenheit thermostats. They will run right there. Towing with the transmission in Drive will keep it cooler than in a lower gear.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Max that I have seen mine was 200. That was about 65mph on a 101 degree day
    When you stop, let it idle for about 10 minutes without the AC on to cool down
    Yeah I've had mine scratch 205 a few times...when towing my father in laws camper. 8600lbs worth in hilly terrain and going slower than I really wanted to but that road is nothing to play with lol
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

6. Member
    This all brings up a question. Does anybody make a good trailer tire. I've had issues with a lot of them.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy11 View Post
    This all brings up a question. Does anybody make a good trailer tire. I've had issues with a lot of them.
    Goodyear endurance. 3rd season on mine with multiple trips to Canada 500+ miles and a few to the UP. Single axle trailer, loaded heavy and the last trip back from the UP was with a full live well and fuel tank. 75 mph+ with no issues in 90 degree heat. Tires 110 degrees or so. I run them at 60psi. Very happy so far and will run them many years just like my last set of Canadian made marathons. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Tires have been covered ..One thing people don’t do is let a truck idle a while after towing a heavy load .. you shut the truck off and your trans stops circulating to disipate the heat like it should through the cooler

9. Member
    Try towing in 107 degrees. Talk about being worried. I had a hub bust a year ago down at Falcon Lake and had to drive 3 1/2 hours on 3 wheels. I went 55-58 mph the whole way. It's basically up to God whether or not you make it when it's that hot. Lol

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Tires have been covered ..One thing people don’t do is let a truck idle a while after towing a heavy load .. you shut the truck off and your trans stops circulating to disipate the heat like it should through the cooler
    Is that in the owner's manual?
    Let it idle for a half hour before breakfast before a stop? Really? No disrespect but who does that.
    Last edited by pa.X19; 06-18-2018 at 06:45 PM.

3800 pounds and worried about towing, what are you towing with? I’ve towed 20,000 5th wheels all over in Texas heat, through the Smokey Mountains, all in the summer.

12. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    3800 pounds and worried about towing, what are you towing with? I’ve towed 20,000 5th wheels all over in Texas heat, through the Smokey Mountains, all in the summer.
    He's not worried about his tow vehicle. He's worried about 3800lbs on a single axle trailer but he seems to have it covered. I've owned two 19' bass boats that weighed around there total on a single axle and they were fine. I also never made any marathon trips like some of the guys on here do.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. Member
    Just got back from Canada, 2200 miles, check everything before you leave, two spares and don't look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy11 View Post
    Maxxis makes a great trailer tire, never hear anything bad about them. A lot of trailer tires are junk. I like the Michelin XPS Ribs, they are an LT tire though. I ran them on a toy hauler. I think they are better than any trailer tire but they are expensive, may not be the right size for a boat trailer. Many of the hotshot, car haulers, horse trailers around here use them.

15. Banned
    Every summer I change the oil.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    Maxxis makes a great trailer tire, never hear anything bad about them. A lot of trailer tires are junk. I like the Michelin XPS Ribs, they are an LT tire though. I ran them on a toy hauler. I think they are better than any trailer tire but they are expensive, may not be the right size for a boat trailer. Many of the hotshot, car haulers, horse trailers around here use them.
    I've ran car tires on aftermarket rims and have had no issues. To tell you the truth the trailer towed better.

17. Member
    Made it down ok. Air temperature reached 100 in South Carolina. My main worry was tires. Never trusted trailer tires. Think my next trailer will have two axles. New owner said he took it to dealer for a check up next day. Had a flat when he pulled into the lot. Thinks he hit something on road.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123