what knot is this?

at the 7 mins 15 sec, what knot is Shin using to join his leader to braid? http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/YGK_G...ge-OHDRAG.html
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

2. Member
    sorry couldn't get just the video up, you have to click on the "product video" to see the video
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

3. Member
    It's a knot that he and Takamori Omori came up with.. Supposedly it's an improved version of another knot but which one I can't tell you.. Always just heard it called the Shin knot... Definitely works..

I went to TW, got the video loaded and running, then right clicked on it. The drop down menu's top choice is "copy video url"...right clicked that. Came back to BBC and just pasted the url into my post.

FWIW, I think the WWW icon (earth globe) doesn't work right at all. Not sure if the moderators could fix it or not, but it has always been fubar, IMO. Might require some software editing to fix it.
    Last edited by Walkabout7781; 06-17-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added information

Here's the video I've seen of him demonstrating only the knot:

It's very similar to an Albright knot except instead of wrapping over the mainline he's wrapping only over the leader. I think the advantage there is that it cinches down easier and so offers less risk of burning the fluoro.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Looks to me like a hybrid Albright/Uni knot.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    It's very similar to an Albright knot except instead of wrapping over the mainline he's wrapping only over the leader. I think the advantage there is that it cinches down easier and so offers less risk of burning the fluoro.
    We call it the lazy Alberto. One thing is to make sure your wraps don't cross on the initial seating. I slowly, slowly pull all 4 lines without lube until all the wraps are close to abutting each other. Then wet and seat pulling all 4 lines, and wet again and pull tight to finish, main braid line to main floro leader. If you lube/wet too early, the wraps can easily overlap, greatly weakening the finished knot.

Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    We call it the lazy Alberto. One thing is to make sure your wraps don't cross on the initial seating. I slowly, slowly pull all 4 lines without lube until all the wraps are close to abutting each other. Then wet and seat pulling all 4 lines, and wet again and pull tight to finish, main braid line to main floro leader. If you lube/wet too early, the wraps can easily overlap, greatly weakening the finished knot.
    Assuming wraps don't cross, is the thought about it being stronger due to less risk of burning the leader accurate in your experience? I suppose that comes at a cost of being more easy to pull out relatively speaking, though with 10 wraps in between the "in and out" motions to start and finish the knot respectively that would be something very far from my mind.

I've always figured an Alberto or "modified Albright" involved wrapping down and up while an Albright (also heard it called Royal Polaris or RP) only involved wrapping up. So many similar knots and regional naming conventions out there that it's often tough to tell what knot someone is tying based only on the name!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Assuming wraps don't cross, is the thought about it being stronger due to less risk of burning the leader accurate in your experience? I suppose that comes at a cost of being more easy to pull out relatively speaking, though with 10 wraps in between the "in and out" motions to start and finish the knot respectively that would be something very far from my mind.

I've always figured an Alberto or "modified Albright" involved wrapping down and up while an Albright (also heard it called Royal Polaris or RP) only involved wrapping up. So many similar knots and regional naming conventions out there that it's often tough to tell what knot someone is tying based only on the name!
    Yeah, to me it's half an alberto knot, but so far so good in terms of strength. I find it much easier to keep the wraps from crossing each other with this lazy version vs wrapping up and down, likewise vs the albright, where you're wrapping up but pulling down, if that makes sense. When I tie the traditional alberto knot, sometimes I'll get a weird bulge or lump somewhere in the knot, a sign that one or more of my wraps have gone astray in the tensioning process. With the Shin Fukae version, I can see every wrap abutting one another as it cinches down, and every knot looks exactly the same, esp if I take my time to seat it properly before the final tensioning.

I believe Aquaholiks, guy with the braid/knot spreadsheet, is testing the lazy alberto knot. Hopefully his findings will mirror my own, very unscientific conclusion that this knot is a winner.

Awesome insight. I’ve also had similar issues with the Alberto, especially with thin diameter lines. Thank you!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

11. BBC SPONSOR
    will have to try the Shin knot.