How much steering fluid for sea star system

Had a bit of an incident this weekend.
    Out on the water running about 40 or so. Moved around to the side to pass a ski boat while crossing his wake I guess something jarred in the boat and lost steering. Motor kicked to one side and spun me out. Three me oit of the drivers seat
    After I got back to the ramp on the TM and got the boat loaded I got back to camp I got underneath the console and whoever had the boat before me had put one of the lines on the helm with 2 hose clamps and it just came off.
    So I'm gonna buy a new set of hoses but was wondering how much fluid it takes to fill and bleed a new system, I'm thinking 2 will do it

2. Member
    Two should be plenty

3. Member
    Kiss the carpet under the console goodbye. Since (hopefully) the system was added after the boat was built the hoses might be relatively easy to change. Glad you weren't injured.
    If the PO added the system make sure the hoses pass the motor and loop back and aren't under stress.

the carpet in the boat isn't the best anyway so if its trashed oh well. wasn't much I could do about it anyway.
    it wasn't the most fun I have had in a boat that is for sure but I do at least know that the boat is plenty stable if something like this were to happen again.
    so this morning I'm going to order a set of hoses and some fluid to get that fixed.

Do a search in here for the fluid.
    I believe i read there are a few different kinds that cost a fraction of the price.
    The fluid is crazy expensive.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

6. Banned
    I just did the seals on my cylinder and flushed the hell out of the system. Looked to be about a quart

7. Member
    I just installed a new system, bled it this way:

I used a tripod to hold the bottle up high, and I used about 1.5 ft of tubing from each bleed fitting to a T and one hose back to the bottle. Small hose clamps on each fitting, tight enough to prevent leaks but not so tight that the fitting wouldn't turn in the hose. 14ft hoses, I believe. A completely empty system with those hoses took 1 qt. This method of bleeding it worked amazingly well. I left both bleeder screws open and just turned it from one side to the other, completely filled the system. My father in law got a little rambunctious turning the steering wheel really fast (more like impatient....) and added a shit-ton of tiny bubbles to it. Once I had him out of my hair, and let it settle, doing it this way, solo, and turning the wheel slowly, worked perfect.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

8. Member
    Thanks for the video.

Op mentioned “hose clamps”. There shouldn’t be any hose clamps as the hoses have iirc NPT fittings on them that screw into the helm itself. I would think using hose clamps on hyd steering would be a bad idea, as OP experienced.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

Best price I have seen for fluid.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/...s66XC5606H.php
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO