2000 3.1 ox66 recurring wont start issue

This problem has happened 5 times this year. Engine starts fine and runs with no issues, but it seems to happen after idling for awhile and stopping to fish. When I go to start engine to move to another spot it acts likes the kill switch has been pulled. Cranks with no sign of fire. I took it to a mechanic back in April as I backed boat into his shop he barely touches key and motor fires right up. At that time he checked fuel pressure, fire and all was good. The only thing found was two of the six ground wire bolts had backed off. One was so loose bolt was about to fall out. Figured that was the cause and had zero issues till 3 weeks ago. I idle out about 100 yards to fish for about 8 hours go to fire up and it sputters but wont start. I pump primer bulb and try again and after awhile it fires up but doesn't feel like its running right. It dies at ramp and will not start like the kill switch is pulled. The next day I had a friend turn key on so I could listen for fuel pump to come on. I didn't hear pump. Last Saturday launch boat planning on using trolling motor all day and after launching boat I barely turned key and it fires right up. It ran fine rest of day and all day yesterday. Anyone have a clue what could be causing this?

2. Member
    Fuel pump relay would be where I would start. Doesn't match all your symptoms but if you cant hear the pump cycle when you turn the key on, that would be my best guess. Electronics a famous for intermittent problems. Esp relays. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    Highly likely to be the fuel pump relay. Turning the key and not hearing the pump run is a clue. When it goes, there are interminent no starts and sometimes it will cut out while running.

4. Member
    I had that same issue on my previous boat. It turned out to be the fuel line. If it's original, you need to change them out. You can also tilt your motor really high sometimes to get it to crank up.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Fuel lines are 2 years old. All the filters were changed or cleaned at that time.
    I did have the engine die one morning while running on plane. Again just like the kill switch was pulled. I primed bulb and it took a few tries before it stared. Once started never had an issue till the next weekend.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KDC 455 View Post
    Fuel lines are 2 years old. All the filters were changed or cleaned at that time.
    I did have the engine die one morning while running on plane. Again just like the kill switch was pulled. I primed bulb and it took a few tries before it stared. Once started never had an issue till the next weekend.
    What about the bulb?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Is the pump relay something easy to change?

8. Member
    Everything from tank to engine was changed.

9. Member
    The stop while on plane is another clue. When the relay goes, it just acts weird. I envisioned having to chase gremlins for a while to find the problem, and RichZ pointed me to the relay. Changed that, and no more problems.

10. Member
    I had the exact same engine. The symptoms were exactly the same as you described, including shutting down while running. Getting the fuel line and bulb replaced fixed it for me.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    Is the pump relay something easy to change?
    Yes, plug and play with a Yamaha part or if your a little skilled a standard relay can be wired in a lot cheaper. But again check all the easy stuff first. Not having a pump run when you turn the key limits the possibilities to just a few things. Basically the relay and pump are the major culprits. It can be connections or the ecu but not likely. CJ
    Last edited by CJ1; 06-18-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

12. Member
    Trying to find this part on boats. net and cant find it. Can anyone help with what Yamaha calls it or part number? Motor is a 2000 225 VX225TLRY
    Thanks

13. Member
    http://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Rela...1950-01-00.htm

Should be it. Double check before buying as they aren’t cheap.